someone help me pick a next project, pretty please?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmbg

Ok guys, I built one SSL that I love. I built a second one that I haven't troubleshooted into working yet.

I've built two green pres that I also love. I have four more green PCBs on their way (hopefully!)

I want to build more mic preamps. I have tons and tons and tons of microphones, and most of my mic preamps are made by Behringer! (ADA8K)

I would really like to check out some of these preamps that everyone's always talking about that's just like, a pair of transformers and a discrete opamp.

Ideally, I'd like it to be transformers that I can get easily, such as maybe sowters from prodigy-pro or something. I've never really worked with transformers all that much... I have the pair of transformers that came out of the TMP-1 that I gutted, but I dunno if they're useful for anything.

I'd also like the discrete op amp to be something that I could build myself.

So, suggest away, folks! :)

How about a pair of Fabio's API 312s... it's an easy build IMO (I have a parts list) and having a pair of APIs around isn't a bad idea. Or if you want to try a tube project a G9 (I haven't build one of these.... yet).

im also waiting on my frickin green pre's. wish i had started by now.

have you made the g9 tube pre yet?

i think theres a new calrec eq+pre combo on the gyraf site under schematics. looks a bit complecated but i think thats mainly the eq section.

i've also got some 312 and 1272 coming from fabio. and a guy is selling the trans for the 312 on the black market but i think they may allready be sold out.

goodluck.
taylor

thanks guys :)

I do want to do a G9 at some point, but right now I'm thinking I want to do something like the API. That's actually what got me thinking about this...

I'm hopping off to look for info on Fabio's API ... Greg, are you willing to post or email me your parts list?

What opamps go in them, are there some options on which you can do?

:)

greg's sending me his BOM right now, but im heading to class, best would be to get it from him while he's sending it to me.

i think the more popular opamps are the melcor and the 2520. i think fabio says he throws in a handfull of the boards with a 312. and the new version of his 312 has the added DI input. which is nice.

blade, that quad neve boad that Chae is selling looks awesome, but I'm afraid that's a bit too much for me to tackle right now, pricewise.

Anyone know how much Fabio asks for his 312 + melcor boards?
never mind, I found it! :)

Here's a link to my parts list:

API 312 Parts List Rev 1
API 312 PSU Parts List

The parts list for the 312 is for one 312. Double the necessary parts when ordering if you plan to build a pair. You can see that I used a Jensen on the input and the Profile 4804 on the output. I've used the Melcor as well as original 2520 opamps. They both have their advantages. I also got my hands on some 22K Rev log pots, so I did not use the C&K rotary or resistor network needed for the gain switch. One more thing, if you use the C&K switches listed, when the switch is up, the function is OFF, and when the switch is down, the function is ON. I didn't care about this, but some people might. If I think of anything else I'll post back.

My PSU parts list is for an external PSU, so just omit the chassis and extra 5 pin connectors if you do no want that.

Hope this helps.

alo
just build a fabio api.you will not regret it.they are superb.
g9 also very good.
jlm 99v,superb.
best regards
pedro

the pre I built with ttwo JLM99v opamps is pretty much the best mic pre I have, which includes everything in my studio. That thing is so awesome its wrong. Id build one of those before I bothered with anything else. Joe is fantastic on top of it. %100 win scenario.

dave

yeah the dual JLM99V kit looks really nice... but I'm not sure I can justify the expense. That really seems to be the problem with all of these projects :(

well, I guess I'll concentrate on getting these next four greens built and making my second SSL work, and be content for a little while.

[quote author="soundguy"]the pre I built with ttwo JLM99v opamps is pretty much the best mic pre I have, which includes everything in my studio. That thing is so awesome its wrong. Id build one of those before I bothered with anything else. Joe is fantastic on top of it. %100 win scenario.

dave[/quote]

I'm tempted myself to give them a go. When you say it's the best in your studio, what are you comparing it to?

@tmbg: That 4 channel Neve-ish project was of interest to me too, but by adding up the cost of 4 Input and 4 Output transformers...... Maybe later on down the track.

quickly off the top of my head, v72, v77, 1272, api 312, QE 312, am16, v276, v476, pv76, some others Im not thinking of. I thought I would get over it and was just into it because I built it, but it is such an awesome sounding thing that does exactly what I want its wrong.

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]quickly off the top of my head, v72, v77, 1272, api 312, QE 312, am16, v276, v476, pv76, some others Im not thinking of. I thought I would get over it and was just into it because I built it, but it is such an awesome sounding thing that does exactly what I want its wrong.

dave[/quote]

Thanks for that soundguy. I'll now have to put that on my 'to do' list after i get my current projects done. :grin:

Back