Capacitors for DR-MQ5

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello friends!

I'm sourcing parts for a DR-MQ5 and I was wondering if anyone here who has built one had any preference on what type of capacitors to use for the filter section. I intend on making this a mastering EQ, if that makes any difference. I usually just buy WIMA film caps for EQs, which honestly, I really want someone with EQ design knowledge to tell me to just buy those and don't waste my time/money searching for audiophile capacitors.

Thanks!

Paul

The distortion produced by any capacitor is proportional to the ac voltage across it. Coupling capacitors, if they are sized correctly, have only a very tiny voltage across them so the distortion they produce is negligible. Audiophools don't realise this.

However, the one place where you can guarantee there will be relatively large ac voltage across a capacitor is in a EQ. So they type of capacitor you use is important. Having said that, modern film capacitors are so good that just about any brand will be fine. So by all means use WIMAs. I also regularly use Panasonic and EPCOS types.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the info, Ian,

I sometimes see other people using fancy Auricap style caps, and even though I know better, I am still tempted to spend lots of money on capacitors for something that in real world use probably won't be noticed. I occasionally have to check back here and seek out the wise sages to put me back on course.

Thanks!

Paul

Back