Headphone amplifier recommendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty old but still worth to mention a little in this topic.

O2 - preamps! Fucking amazing!

Currently am using four in the studio, can drive any headphones, completely no problem with 800ohm DT100!
Easy to build, completely non problematic, each one worked from the first firing up!
Huge amount of gain - for deaf drummers ideal!
Cheap :D

I'm still struggling with this;
changed most of the parts-now it works and sounds good,
but Ive got to put it back on my prototype heatsink..
I tried this case (with aluminium L-plate conducting heat to the case)
and heat is just too much..

Jarno said:
Ah, one of the legends of DIY audio, came out of nothing, designed this and helped design some other products, before vanishing again.....

after reading that article I've begun building my cmoys with only  those jrc4556 unless friends would ask me specifically for a burr brown. I've never driven 800ohms cans but reading the article I've always been under the impression that driving higher impedance cans should not be the problem, the problem would be driving very low impedance cans. Or at least that's what I understood.

Spino said:
I've never driven 800ohms cans but reading the article I've always been under the impression that driving higher impedance cans should not be the problem, the problem would be driving very low impedance cans. Or at least that's what I understood.

It's all about Ohm's Law.

Low-impedance headphones require an amplifier that can source the current required to create the power demanded by the voltage swing.

High-impedance headphones require an amplifier whose output voltage can swing high enough to create the power demanded.

Latest posts

Back