MEQ-5 Layout Review

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfowler

Anybody see anything glaringly wrong here?  It's my first non-pcb project...if it doesn't catch on fire I'll consider it a success.

- Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Another pic.  Filter section is not hooked up yet...still waiting on front panel.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
The only thing I would say is try to avoid bundling wires from the tube together as this add unnecessary stray capacitance. Take each wire separately to where it needs to go. Tyr to lay out the components to keep the lead lenghs as short as possible.

Cheers

Ian

Check the power of the marked resistors, it shall be at least 1 W. On appearance, you have resistors of 0,25 W.

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 22
All resistors are of the correct wattage but thanks for looking out.

Powered it up and all my voltages are within 5% of the desired spec EXCEPT pin 1 of the 12AX7.  I should see 180V and have 140V instead.  As per the spec, these voltages are measured with no input signal and the unit just sitting there idling.  Is this just a matter of adjusting the resistance of the 200K 1W resistor that's feeding pin 1? 

FWIW, Power tranny is Hammond 271X which is spec'd at 560V.

Thanks for the help.  I know that the information you guys have you did not come by idly so I appreciate your willingness to share.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back