sameal

Variac build questions
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:55:26 PM »
In the schematic, why is the variac only on the hot wire?

I have a powerstat open frame type variac that has four terminals. In my prior build without fuses or meters i had both the neutral and hot going into and out from the variac.

Will the powerstat work in the schematic below? Can i simply only have the hot wire going into the powerstat?

benb

Re: Variac build questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 01:01:44 AM »
>In the schematic, why is the variac only on the hot wire?

Because the schematic is WRONG.  Don't use it. If it "works" it's only because of the Variac's increasing inductance acting as a variable resistor. I want to say more about it, but no, it's just wrong.

The Variac (and I'm pretty sure the Powerstat as well) is a variable autotransformer, and that implies how it should be wired.

I'm sure others can and will give a full complete answer and explanation of what you should do, but I'm not comfortable doing it (I'm 99.4 percent sure how to do it, but I don't know what the Variac or Powerstat terminals are labeled, and I just don't wanna, especially after seeing that thing). All I'll say is don't even think of using THAT schematic, whether with a Variac or Powerstat.

pucho812

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
 here is a variac correctly wired.
Every mic has a purpose it might be a door stop or a hammer, but every mic has a purpose.

Speedskater

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:56:30 AM »
The wiring diagram doesn't seem to load now.
Kevin

JohnRoberts

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 09:51:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure the OP got his questions answered on another forum (gearslutz).

JR
John Roberts
http://circularscience.com
Tune it, or don't play it...