veterans day 2016

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
16 US soldiers killed and 27 wounded since start of Mosul operation
3 special forces killed in Jordan entering an air base.
2 US soldiers and 30 civilians killed in afghan fighting

Veteran's day used to be called Armistice day celebrating the end of WWI, "the war to end all wars" (it didn't).

We still have thousands of active military in harms way right now.

Respect to all military active or retired. Buy one a beer or two, or more... I bought one GI dinner and beers that I ran into in an airport bar in ATL while he was on his way back to Baghdad (over a decade ago). I wonder if he lived? He was stationed at the Baghdad airport that according to him was mostly quiet except during landings and takeoffs. 

JR

PS; They fight so we can have these silly political protests and street demonstrations, or so pro football players can take a knee instead of showing respect to the flag.

A reminder that Veterans day (sunday observed monday) is coming around again.

This began to honor the dead after the Great War (WWI). I was recently reminded about how many forfeit their lives in that war to end all wars, but since then many more have died in wars.

I repeat buy a vet a beer... (I don't need any more).

Respect for any forum members here who served or are currently serving.

JR

PS: There needs to be a special room in hell for headline writers. Front page of todays newspaper says "veteran massacres 12 in CA bar". A nice sentiment to prepare us for Veterans day.  ::).. 

While true that the shooter was an ex-marine, I saw no mention of the Police Sargent who ran toward the gunfire no doubt saving many lives inside the crowded bar, while forfeiting his own life. The newspaper may have mentioned him later but no mention in the lead paragraphs printed on the front page (I didn't read further yet). CA already has strict gun laws and mental health restrictions against gun ownership. This individual was reviewed once before by CA mental health professionals and declared not 5150, not a risk to himself or others.  I will resist the typical second guessing about these events that goes on. I am already on record about mental health support deficiencies.

[edit- I finally got around to reading that paper.. The image on the front page was of fellow officers honoring the slain sargeant so he was mentioned on the front page in the caption text. I still don't care for the wording of the headline, but stand corrected that any mention was completely missing from the front page.  /edit]

Hmm, are you suggesting that the fact he was an ex- marine is not relevant in the fact that he murdered 12 random people?

If he was a janitor, it probably would have said 'janitor massacres...'.

The fact that it's someone who had a career around military training, weapons and killing and then commits this act makes his background all the more within the public's interest I'd say...

We should certainly honor and respect those that fought and gave their lives for the freedoms we currently have.

But we also shouldn't act like all war and military actions are justified.  How many lives have been lost,  families ruined,  innocents killed,  due to the all the illegal wars carried out by the political elite on behalf of monetary corporate interests?

The latest domestic atrocity was carried out by an ex Marine using military style tactics.  Him being a veteran,  with most likely PTSD issues,  is certainly relevant.

The best way to honor the troops would be to bring them home and provide veterans with the services and care they need.

Perhaps this weekend we could reflect on what this world might look like if we didn't have so many soldiers make the ultimate sacrifices for us over decades/centuries.  This weekend there is a huge commemoration 100 years after the armistice ending WWI was signed.  Even Angela Merkel will visit the location Saturday, north of Paris where the original armistice was signed ( with Macron).  Even Putin will attend the big event on Sunday with 70 other world leaders.

@ Rob now that you mention it maybe my military training explains my violent tendencies toward squirrels stealing my pecans.  ::)

JR

PS: I protested against the Viet Nam war but can't ignore my own self interest. The fact I was later drafted suggests my concern was well founded.

Back