[BUILD] NU FEDERAL AM-864 PCB OFFICIAL BUILD & HELP THREAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frontpannel looks very nice  :D
Any chance for Output Level/GR switch for the meters?
Is this 2U high?

Hi,
You can build it in a 2U enclosure.  The gain reduction/output level switch can be implied as well, but only with real VU meters. My meters are  200 uA DC meters with a custom VU meter scale and wouldn't work as output level meters. The way it's done in the original Federal causes a lot of distortion. So we left out the rectifier part.
Bernd

So I think I don't get it right: when using real VU meters there will be distortion? or were you talking about uA DC meter?

You can strap a vu meter across any output of any audio device and distortion (thd) will slightly increase. In order to avoid this vu buffers are used.  Google JLM VU buffer. If you really need to have a meter showing  output level, then take a VU meter and connect it as shown in the original federal schematic, but leave out the rectifier diodes.
Bernd

8) 8) 8) Dual & Mono

16265473_934548423342735_2589107638814668240_n.jpg

16298991_934548370009407_1419463695455414893_n.jpg

I think dj fatum bought these cases including frontpanel from Frank
https://www.frontpanels.de

I haven't measured the attack/release times, but they are way faster and more usable then the original.
Bernd

got the pcb´s today, thanks! will start soon after some other projects.
question... whats about the sidechainfilter?  is there one and if yes at aproximitly with frequency? if not would it be possible to do one?

thank you for the fast reply. i am ordering parts right now and like to go stepped. found everything exept 25k log. would it be possible to use 50k log for attack?

Hi,
Either take something like 22K log or you could indeed try a 47/50k log pot.  But then you should reduce R13 to 4K7. If it works without any side effects (not guaranteed) you've got a faster attack.
Bernd

Hi Bernd,

I have a couple of questions to do about the limiter and his nature.
I would use it for mastering, but looking around on the internet I have not found useful informations or someone who has built a stereo version for this job so far.
Do you think this compressor can find a place in my mastering rig?
Then, I read about the sensitivity and behaviour of the threshold and ratio controls in this design and I saw other mono compressors derived from Fed AM864, like the Audio Dizengoff D864 or the Schmidlin Fed + have both full control of the ratio and threshold and they seem not to have this kind of problem, so I believe that it is possible by adapting a few components on the circuit to get a normal use of the controls and compressor itself without having a motor boat on board. Everything to try, I know it. Any input or help is appreciated. Thanks. Andrea

Hi,
The Federal Limiter is/was a single channel (mono) broadcasting limiter.  As far as I know there has never been a stereo version of this limiter and I've never seen this compressor in a mastering chain. A few recording engineers modified this limiter and used it mainly on vocals and bass. It became a kind of secret weapon.
The other compressors you mentioned are, same as the NU Federal, free adaptions of the Federal Limiter circuit and have shurely  been modified. They are not 1:1 copies. Our adaptation of the circuit has full control over threshold, ratio, input/output gain, attack and release. Read other threads about the Federal Limiter and you will find further information.
I don't see this unit in a mastering rig. It's indeed a very quiet compressor in terms of noise/hum, but I can't imagine that mastering guys appreciate the relatively high thd figures.
I strongly recommend to build it and then decide on your own for what purpose it might be predestined.
Bernd

Back