Mic pre for cheap?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhelin

Just an idea. You can get various headphone amps from Ebay as kits or ready built if you prefer. Many of those have nice Class-A discrete output stage which can driver nicely your neveish output transformer.  Some have an opamp with adjustable gain (using DIP switch). Just add an input transformer and power supply, box it and you have a nice preamp no one else does.

Here is one example, this kit is based to Lehmann headphone amp:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YS-New-Headphone-preamp-kit-classics-board-Amplifier-kit-Base-on-lehmann-amp/272205636659

Schematics can be found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/501046/the-lovely-cube-headphone-amp-lehmann-black-cube-linear-clone

Just replace the gain resistors with an anti-logaritmic pot or rotary switch to get enough gain (also add a cap in series to avoid noise when adjusting the gain).

mhelin said:
Just an idea. You can get various headphone amps from Ebay as kits or ready built if you prefer. Many of those have nice Class-A discrete output stage which can driver nicely your neveish output transformer.  Some have an opamp with adjustable gain (using DIP switch). Just add an input transformer and power supply, box it and you have a nice preamp no one else does.

Here is one example, this kit is based to Lehmann headphone amp:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YS-New-Headphone-preamp-kit-classics-board-Amplifier-kit-Base-on-lehmann-amp/272205636659

Schematics can be found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/501046/the-lovely-cube-headphone-amp-lehmann-black-cube-linear-clone

Just replace the gain resistors with an anti-logaritmic pot or rotary switch to get enough gain (also add a cap in series to avoid noise when adjusting the gain).

Those aren't microphone preamps.

Andy Peters said:
Those aren't microphone preamps.

The idea is to modify the circuit so that they will be like one - add an input transformer, an output transformer, a power transformer,  phantom source (could be a cheap DC/DC converter from ebay), add the front end  like JLM Go Between Kit or just an XLR connector, and adjust the gain stages to get enough gain and match the impedances and do all obvious things.

With a good input transformer it might make a usable medium gain mic pre if the input circuit is modded a bit. To me an output transformer seems optional, technically not necessary, but it might add a bit of nice colour. It should be fine for recording drums and egit, maybe not for ribbons recording a violin from far away. Still the transformer wouldn't be cheap, pricewise it would be no competition to dedicated micpre ICs.

If you have some transformers why not give it a try?

I wouldn't trust anything cheap from ebay with generating phantom, but doing it the 'proper' way is easy.

Michael

mhelin said:
The idea is to modify the circuit so that they will be like one - add an input transformer, an output transformer, a power transformer,  phantom source (could be a cheap DC/DC converter from ebay), add the front end  like JLM Go Between Kit or just an XLR connector, and adjust the gain stages to get enough gain and match the impedances and do all obvious things.

Mhelin,  I dont want to slam the idea you brought, it's quite ingenious but
you're talking  about buying an input transformer and output transformer and an £18.50 heaphone amplififer.
With that input transformer and output transformer for £18.50  I can build the Neve 1290 circuit,  pcb and all the components.

If for the same price we can have a Neve circuit why should we modify a heaphone amplifier as a mic pre?

Whoops said:
Mhelin,  I dont want to slam the idea you brought, it's quite ingenious but
you're talking  about buying an input transformer and output transformer and an £18.50 heaphone amplififer.
With that input transformer and output transformer for £18.50  I can build the Neve 1290 circuit,  pcb and all the components.

If for the same price we can have a Neve circuit why should we modify a heaphone amplifier as a mic pre?

Sure you can, but it is a different thing (I have built Neve). Sometimes the time is money also, and if you get an assembled ampfilifier which you have to just mod a little for mic pre application you'll save a lot of time.

I have also plans to build an opamp version of 1272 style amp using the same transformers and a driver transistor+2N3055 transistor in the output (so it will be class A stuff assuming the opamp is not driven to class B). That would also be faster to build compared to discrete BA283 based pre.

Back