WGT Center 34mm k47 capsule - Anyone tried these?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

Hi guys,

anyone bought one of these? Is the quality OK? Thanks

http://www.wgtcenter.com/microphone-34mm-large-mylar-capsule-diaphragm-condenser-element-k47-k49-m7-mount-for-neumann-mic-diy-professional-replacement.html

a0060-4.jpg

For that sort of money, it might be worth putting together another group-buy, with far fewer headaches than straight from the factory :D

Are they comparable to what Microphone Parts and Advance Audio are selling?

Are they better than what you find in low cost condenser mic? MXL, CAD, etc...

Thanks

The ones we got in the groupbuy were made in / by the same factory the M-P ones are made in / by, if memory serves.

AA might(?) have the same source, although there's a chance they do some extra QC / binning of their own, but i'm just speculating on this one :)

And "better"? Isn't that quite subjective by default? They're most definitely different, cheap condensers having K67-copies :p

Same capsule as mparts, jolly and probably peluso (if he reskin it then not but i have some doubts on that).
It was used in few pretty pricey custom microphones.
You can run it up to 70V, rather symetrical cylindrical headbasket (non U87 style), no capacitor between capsule and fet ;)

micaddict said:
Yes, MP does extra QC.

AA uses a Chinese K47 with 6 micron membranes.
Most Chinese (34mm that is) have 3 micron.

Henk - for that QC you can buy three capsules (in case of purchase from Europe), so it's almost like buying air.
If capsule is defective you should get new one or money back.
AAmicrophones is 32mm.

Henk - for that QC you can buy three capsules (in case of purchase from Europe), so it's almost like buying air.
If capsule is defective you should get new one or money back.

Piotr, I wanted to elaborate, but the last time I did I got an angry PM from the MP owner. So I just kept it short this time.
(The only angry PM I ever got on any forum. That 's why I remember it.)

AAmicrophones is 32mm.

Looks like you're right. I thought Dave told me he had found a 34mm capsule with 6 micron membranes. But the website suggests otherwise.

Khron said:
For that sort of money, it might be worth putting together another group-buy, with far fewer headaches than straight from the factory :D

I am 100% with you on that. Cheaper too...

micaddict said:
Piotr, I wanted to elaborate, but the last time I did I got an angry PM from the MP owner. So I just kept it short this time.

Looks like you're right. I thought Dave told me he had found a 34mm capsule with 6 micron membranes. But the website suggests otherwise.

Oh man,  that's very weak when sellers came here and try censoring...
Dave cpsule is 32mm and should be 5-6micron. Same as same sized k67.

Banzai said:
I am 100% with you on that. Cheaper too...

I am 100% with both of you Guys :D

Khron said:
Feeling (quite so) generous, again? ;D

Me? No way ;)

If you can just click and buy from these guys, without dealing with any bullsh*t, it's by far the best option.

AA sources from Shuai-Yin.

Only recently i found out that MP is owned and run by the guy(s) behind recordinghacks.com and Roswell Pro Audio.

ln76d said:
micaddict said:

Oh man,  that's very weak when sellers came here and try censoring...
Dave cpsule is 32mm and should be 5-6micron. Same as same sized k67.

micaddict said:
I did I got an angry PM from the MP owner. So I just kept it short this time.

IMHO not very much is needed to get the MP owner angry... :p

I have used several 'Chinese'  microphone capsules in the past, and they were all good.
I have compared them with the MP capsules and could not hear any difference.
The price is so low, that if you buy 3 of them, and even if one doesn't sound as good as the other two, you still have two good capsules for a very good price!

Guosheng Zhuang of 3Uaudio Microphones actually makes his 34mm K47 with 6 micron membranes.

He does sell transformers separately, but I haven't seen him offering capsules without a microphone.

I bought 3 of these capsules from WGT over a year ago when they were on AliExpress for about $52/each delivered. Overall I thought they were kinda too bright and lacking the low end I was hoping to get out of them. They did have a similar "honk" that I heard when trying out a MP mic with their K47 (and their schoeps circuit mod) but I didn't get a chance to try them side by side to really compare.  But to be fair, I'm not really sure a K47 style sound is good on my voice.  I also thought they were a touch too mid-forward for my purposes. 

The upside was that, not too long ago, I pulled them from the modded mics I had them in and sold them on Ebay for $50 each and they sold fast.. like within 24 hours after posting them fast, so if you buy and try and don't really dig them, you can most likely offload them and recoup most of your out of pocket cost.

The capsules I purchased were cardioid only. I almost wonder if their dual membrane capsules sound better.

micaddict said:
Guosheng Zhuang of 3Uaudio Microphones actually makes his 34mm K47 with 6 micron membranes.

He does sell transformers separately, but I haven't seen him offering capsules without a microphone.

Guosheng Zhuang offers three type of capsules, k67, k47, k12. Each one in two options "dark" and "bright".
Single sided for 100$.
Double sided for 150$.
Direct purchase via email.

Wordsushi said:
I bought 3 of these capsules from WGT over a year ago when they were on AliExpress for about $52/each delivered. Overall I thought they were kinda too bright and lacking the low end I was hoping to get out of them. They did have a similar "honk" that I heard when trying out a MP mic with their K47 (and their schoeps circuit mod) but I didn't get a chance to try them side by side to really compare.  But to be fair, I'm not really sure a K47 style sound is good on my voice.  I also thought they were a touch too mid-forward for my purposes. 

The upside was that, not too long ago, I pulled them from the modded mics I had them in and sold them on Ebay for $50 each and they sold fast.. like within 24 hours after posting them fast, so if you buy and try and don't really dig them, you can most likely offload them and recoup most of your out of pocket cost.

The capsules I purchased were cardioid only. I almost wonder if their dual membrane capsules sound better.

Nope, at least for my taste, single sided sound little bit better.
It's exactly same sounding as MP version.
In most typical topologies of chinese microphones, like raped U87/emitter follower and schoeps, they sucks.
These capsules are pretty great in both, tubes and FET circuits, but there's always minimum of good optimalisation of the circuit for it. 
I will repeat myself here:

You can run it up to 70V, rather symetrical cylindrical headbasket (non U87 style), no capacitor between capsule and fet  ;)

Also it's important to get optimal polarisation voltage. It's strongly dependent with the circuit type.

ln76d said:
Guosheng Zhuang offers three type of capsules, k67, k47, k12. Each one in two options "dark" and "bright".
Single sided for 100$.
Double sided for 150$.
Direct purchase via email.

Man, seems I'm getting rusty. 

Anyway, he makes the K12 in three versions even: dark, medium and bright.

And his (complete) LDC microphones start at $119 or $199 for a pair.  :eek:

Latest posts

Back