WGT Center 34mm k47 capsule - Anyone tried these?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
micaddict said:
Man, seems I'm getting rusty. 

Anyway, he makes the K12 in three versions even: dark, medium and bright.

And his (complete) LDC microphones start at $119 or $199 for a pair.  :eek:

His  cheaper LDC mics use completely different capsules

moomilk said:
His  cheaper LDC mics use completely different capsules

That would make sense.

These very cheap ones don't have a transformer BTW.

The Warblers (starting at about $270) do and those come with  a darker or brighter K67, K12 etc.

The GZ series start at about $595, I believe.

Better parts as prices increase, likely.

And there seems to be a link with ADK's high end  GK capsules.

Can you tell us what you know?

At this point not too much really, have his Ck12 type capsule,

Two tuning options available:

12 style: warm and bright.  = 6 micron

251 style: warm and airy. = 3 micron

I got the "airy" one  ;D

Also optimization for different polarization voltage for each capsule is possible,

Mine is standard 60v - currently building a mic for it,

Will  soon compare with RK12 from recent groupbuy and let you know.

Interesting note about ADK - looking at GK12 - hole pattern and lead color seem to be identical:

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/117689059625616824733/6141959155662175410

Thanks to the OP for posting about these WGT capsules.
I went over budget on my builds and could only afford to buy these. I got a pair of the double-sided ones.

They sound good so far on a U47fet build, but I have not A|B tested them against any other K47 capsules. What will probably happen is that I will use them and keep using them until I discover some sort of deficiency, at which point I will upgrade to some other K47 capsule.

They came quickly and were well-packed. Included were two nice saddles and five M1.6x5mm screws (two for each saddle plus one leftover). They did not come with the shorter M1.6x3mm screws needed to attach the backplate wires, and the M1.6x5mm screws are too long for that purpose. For just a short while, I swiped some screws from another mic to function test these capsules.

If I can find a freeware spectrum analyzer and sweep generator for the Mac, I'll do a frequency response graph (but I do not have access to an anechoic room, so it may not mean much of anything).

One capsule seems slightly louder than the other; I have to do some swapping back and forth to make sure this is not due to the U47fet builds themselves (different gains due to mismatched transistors).

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/ ;)

Without an anechoic chamber, you'll want to look into gated measurements :)

Wordsushi said
I bought 3 of these capsules from WGT over a year ago when they were on AliExpress for about $52/each delivered. Overall I thought they were kinda too bright and lacking the low end I was hoping to get out of them.
I agree they are tuned too high so lack low end... I re-skinned one the other day with 6um and tuned it much lower and it sounded great I haven't compared it to a real one but I liked what I heard !
The machining  setup parts are correct but they are tuned way to high, probably to ensure  a low failure rate .

So we have completely different experience with that capsule :D
Definately i would change thickness of diaphragm, but i have no problem with lack of low end.
From the cheap capsules i would say that this one have pretty  great low end definition.
No capacitor in the path to the grid or gate, polarisation voltage properly set, headbasket without "presence" bump and it sounds really good.
Definately sounds shitty in most of stock chinese circuits after direct replacing of k67 but after rework of the circuit it's pretty fine.
Most important is to not boost hi-mid peak.

Posted by: ln76d
so we have completely different experience with that capsule :D

It' could be that you got lucky ;) have you compared them to the original or better copies like the 797 version?,
I've had 20-30 of these pass through my hands and the all  seemed a bit honky and bass shy when compared to more respected copies like the 797 versions. 

Maybe i got lucky  :D
Anyway similar amount of these passed through my hands ;)
Some can be little, little bit, different, but it's not a night and  day difference.
Single sided version also is little bit different than double sided.
I can agree that it can sound nasty, but with proper matching everything it can be really good.
I only had option to make direct comparison with mparts version and M7.
I know the sound of original.
Of course i prefer M7 over it, it's also different capsule, but definately i like WGT version too.
I don't know 797 version at all, i didn't even know that they made k47 copy.
Could you tell something more about it? Is there any option to buy it in a small amount?
Defintely i want to test 3UAudio version, but need to wait a while for that.
Someday i will post sound samples of some of my designs, builds or mods, but today is not the day :D

moomilk said:
At this point not too much really, have his Ck12 type capsule,

Two tuning options available:

12 style: warm and bright.  = 6 micron

251 style: warm and airy. = 3 micron

I got the "airy" one  ;D

Also optimization for different polarization voltage for each capsule is possible,

Mine is standard 60v - currently building a mic for it,

Will  soon compare with RK12 from recent groupbuy and let you know.

Interesting note about ADK - looking at GK12 - hole pattern and lead color seem to be identical:

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/117689059625616824733/6141959155662175410

Any new info about CK12 capsule from 3U Audio? How it sounds?

He also offers a fine U87 capsule. I just bought one.

Guosheng Zhuang offers three type of capsules, k67, k47, k12. Each one in two options "dark" and "bright".
Single sided for 100$.
Double sided for 150$.
Direct purchase via email.

Vac11 said:
Any new info about CK12 capsule from 3U Audio? How it sounds?

It is good, detailed and well balanced, maybe a bit too sensitive (lightweight), but it depends on application and think it is mostly attributed to 3 micron version I got

I recently purchased 2 K47, a K87, and their version of the 12 from WGT. The specs are the same as M-P and they were $45 each and $2 for express shipping. I put the 47s into a pair of original Rode NT2 that were 20+ years old and begining to make noise, and I always thought they were too bright anyway.  I am pleased with the result. They sound better than they did. I put the 87 into modded MXL v67 andit was abig improvement over the original one sided 32mm, plus that mic now has an omni switch. The c12  I put into a point to point homemade full length (255mm x43mm) version of a C12 I built. It sounds as good as the Chunger/ Matador C12 I built with an M-P rk12.  4 mics improved for less than $200 is a pretty good deal and they came in less than 10 days.

I ordered three capsules from WGT center.
Unfortunately two of them arrived with wrinkled membranes.
I have contacted them, so let's wait and see...

Attachments

• K47.JPG
    K47.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 74
The center screw seem to be over tightened. That's what I get when I overdo it. You might want to try to loosen it, and retighten.

I had a micro dent in membrane of one I ordered and they refunded without asking for shipping back. It worked as it should, but I wasn't able to sell it with the mic I intended to due to ''cosmetic'' defect.

There is recent thread about these with some weird discoloration in backplates. I am wondering if they sell discarded capsules.

In the meantime WGT center has promised me a replacement.
I might be able to bring the capsule in a usable state (yes, indeed, it seems the wrinkle is caused by the centre screw), but of course it isn't normal that the end user should 'fine tune' a new capsule!

Kinda reminds me of a few quips of one of my favourite youtubers, AvE :p
- "Nothin' tighter than stripped!.."
- "Tighten 'till you hear it crack, then back a quarter turn..."

kingkorg said:
The center screw seem to be over tightened. That's what I get when I overdo it. You might want to try to loosen it, and retighten.

Any ideas about the origin of this capsule?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352960016847

Not the same one as WGT sells, looks more like Maiku or ADK (3 zigma).

Latest posts

Back