WGT Center 34mm k47 capsule - Anyone tried these?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
That looks good. I'm also waiting for a capsule from WGT ;D

Anyway, these Griffon Microphones (France, anyone knows them? ) capsules look very similar to the one's from Ebay (the K47 type, the seller won't tell who makes them, they just let me know that they are from "a small company which deals with higher end produce in the far east"):

They used it with their GMT-47F:
https://griffon-microphones.jimdofree.com/gmt-47f/
"Own proprietary Capsule type K47 single backplate Mylar gold diaphragme"

They use iron core Lundahl transformer, which is odd, just to get more distortion.

Last edited:
I tried the Lundahl LL1940 for color under typical circumstances and it was absolutely not colorful by ear. It’s like Lundahl’s color is everyone else’s clean. So, I decided to use my old WE 396As and drive the hell into the LL1940. Worked like like a charm! Used a Dany D7 by the way. As usual, Chris at Barbaric did all the awesome work and all the other hard stuff. I just come up with some ideas to try.

Attachments

• 391DF8E4-40A2-4B2D-9ABE-65072C62E53A.jpeg
    391DF8E4-40A2-4B2D-9ABE-65072C62E53A.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 78
I would like to try that LL1940 in my projects (12ay7), since its pretty cheap in europe, but I would need help with the wiring, could you tell what wires to goes to audio - and + in the imput wires? Thanks!

I have one of these. They can be found for as little as 10$ occasionally. It's not the worse capsule ever. Can be worked with. Nice FR, no crazy stuff, not sure about pattern response.

If i have to guess, it might be a Brauner rip off. Brauner has "half of k67" design in one of their mics.

The NewEgg description says 'double sided K47', but the photo is very much a single sided, with a K.67 drill pattern. 
I have one that looks the same as the photo - single backplate, K.67 hole pattern. Mine does not sound good (it's really 'bright' )

"Guosheng Zhuang offers three type of capsules, k67, k47, k12. Each one in two options "dark" and "bright".
Single sided for 100$.
Double sided for 150$.
Direct purchase via email."

He also has an M7 now which is, i assure you, quite amazing.

ln76d said:
Definately sounds sh*tty in most of stock chinese circuits after direct replacing of k67 but after rework of the circuit it's pretty fine.
Most important is to not boost hi-mid peak.

A lot of people just the replace the K67 capsule with a K47 one in a Chinese mic with schoeps type circuit, and people seem to be happy with it, at least to solving the exaggerated sibilance/brightness.
So you don't agree that changing the capsule is enough?

What would you advice to rework in the circuit?

Wordsushi said

I agree they are tuned too high so lack low end... I re-skinned one the other day with 6um and tuned it much lower and it sounded great I haven't compared it to a real one but I liked what I heard !
The machining setup parts are correct but they are tuned way to high, probably to ensure a low failure rate .
Do you remember if theese k47 from WGT had glued membrane to the ring?

If I got it right, the tuning of my sample was around 1.120hz. Tried to lower it but ruined the diaphragm (the glue had its limits xD), so now I have to learn how to put a new diaphragm, even a home made one :/

Attachments

• 20231102_114308.jpg
    20231102_114308.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231102_114623.jpg
    20231102_114623.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 0
I'm pretty sure those diaphragms are 3 um. So they may not behave at lower tuning points.
Also mylar is very stable when pre stretched and tuned so it may not be possible to drop the tuning frequency.

I can't see any reason to use the WGTCenter capsules when Takstar and 797 capsules cost you like $10 or $20 more. I don't know if they have good K47s, but I don't like the WGT ones either.

Latest posts

Back