Potentiometers too long for knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondj421

I just waited 3 weeks for knobs for my SB4000. They showed up today and the potentiometers are too long for the knobs to fit flush against the faceplate. Is it ok to cut the potentiometers down? Thanks!

Yep

Just remove the pot and fasten the shaft in a vise and cut it in desired lenght with a metal saw. Solid shafts are easier and knurled split shafts are more difficult.

best regards

/John

I've always found that a hacksaw affects the feel of the pot afterwards, maybe just me but it seems to cause a looser feel (probably from heating up while sawing).

A cleaner solution is to use one of these. for pots that have the pinch gap, just fill the gap using a similar thickness cable tie..

https://www.bunnings.com.au/haron-3-16mm-tube-cutter_p4903652

I use a dremmel with the small abrasive cut off wheel attachment.
I wrap the unit with plastic, Bag or plastic wrap, with the shaft poked through the bag.
Then cut it to length. Remove plastic and use compressed air to blow the unit  out in case anything got inside.
No disassembly necessary and it's easy to get the knob to sit flush against the face place.
You can always cut again if it's too high. Just don't cut it too short the first time.

I went round the houses on this a little while back. My little Dremel makes a heck of a mess trimming pots down and I was always concerned about swarf getting in the pots, as well as any impacts from the vibration and the heat. Plus it took ages, but that may just be my dodgy old drill!

In the end I'm finding that a pair of anvil secateurs is perfect for plastic shafts, very neat and controllable and takes no time at all. Snip - done. For metal shafts, I use bolt cutters - same principle, though you have to be careful as the snipped-off end will go flying like a bullet! Tape helps. But I generally avoid metal shafts unless there's no alternative, as plastic is so easy with the secateurs.

It's worth noting that bolt cutters will make a screaming mess of your knurled split shaft.

Andy

Latest posts

Back