500 Series Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi Folks,

I’m currently putting together a small home studio. I like building stuff so I’ve decided to build a few of the components myself using kits. I have a studio rack so I was originally thinking of building the kits into 19-inch cases - including 500-series kits even though the component layout would be a bit odd. Then I came across the A Designs Audio 503HR which would make things easier, however some of the kits are 2U so they wouldn’t fit.

Anyway, this got me thinking that it might be possible to mount the 500-series units onto aluminium angle and then build power supplie/s for them. That way they’d at least be oriented correctly.

Just wondering what people think about this idea? Would the units need a box around them? What about the connections? Has anyone tried anything like this?

A six-slot frame seems pretty expensive to me - is there something I’m missing?

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Chris

cpsmusic said:
A six-slot frame seems pretty expensive to me - is there something I’m missing?

I have a six slot at GBP 130.00 (excluding VAT for UK and EC)
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=52462.0

I am not sure which country you are in but  here in the UK 6 x card edge connector, 6 pairs of XLRs and 5/7 pin power connector set will cost you around £60.00 + VAT alone. You still have the backplane PCB and the metalwork. Assume that you will not use a backplane PCB and hard wire them. You still have the metalwork to do. Aluminium profile and sheet including the shipping will probably cost you say, another  £30.00.  Is it worth spending all that time to settle for something substantially substandard for £40.00?

I did a GDIY one and I made one myself with parts gotten at surplus and edge connector cards (that I designed myself). The one I built from scratch was much cheaper, but the GDIY is nicer. They both work fine. The one I built from scratch is not encased - it was just a frame. I bought the drill strips from CAPI and attached them.  I thought about drilling the screws myself with some kind of aluminum angle, but didn't think I had the precision in my drill press. Also, I wasn't sure how well aluminum would hold up with the small screws.

Latest posts

Back