Non-500 PCB in 500 Case?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi,

I'm just getting started with 500 series gear so apologies if I'm not using the right terms :)

I have a couple of mic pre PCBs (70 mm x 70 mm) that I was going to put into a 19-inch rack case. They haven't been stuffed yet. I'm now thinking it would be better if I built them into a 500 series unit - is this possible? What do I need?

I imagine I need some kind of blank chassis/template that I can attach the PCB to, a front panel, and also a plug for attaching the connections to the power/I/O socket?

Would this be easy/hard/impossible? Should I ditch those PCBs and just build a 500-series kit instead?

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Cheers,

Chris

You should put your location in your profile, much easier sourcing parts for you ...

cpsmusic said:
I imagine I need some kind of blank chassis/template that I can attach the PCB to, a front panel, and also a plug for attaching the connections to the power/I/O socket?
You can find all those parts in Jeffs web-store at capo-gear.com:
http://capi-gear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=87_88

I might be able to help.
I made some PCB's for personal use for this exact purpose and I've got some left over.
You can screw a vintage 312 or melcor card (or anything that fits) right onto it.
Choice of pot or Grayhill switch for gain (with resistor pads already connected)
Pad, Phantom and Phase (based on a mix of Jensen papers and JLM) using pushbutton dpdt switches.
Accommodations for output fader pot (dual 1k).
Plugs right into your 500 slot. All tested and working.
You need to buy the sled, blank front panel and grayhill and pushbutton switches from capi.
I mounted some without the sled and it's fine but you might want the reinforcement.
I'd let a few go for trade or 20 bucks (plus shipping) each.

Back