All things G1176 - the new "repost" thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we have had this problem before - in the old giant thread. But I don't remember what we did to fix it.

If GR meter indication changes (and stays changed) when ratio is changed, but with no input signal, then either the diodes or c19/c20 - the two DC-blocking capacitors in the sidechain rectifier - must be leaking.

Or maybe your meter-FET is much more sensitive than your audio-fet, and thus indicates too much change.

Try letting a sub-threshold signal through (some 25mV or so) and check if the signal level is also affected by the ratio switch.

Also check how DC-levels( signal and no-signal, different ratios) behave at point7 , where your control voltage can be read out.

Jakob E.

get bd135/136 at www.newark.com in the US. now what about those 4.7m linpots and 22k linpots, where the heck did you get those?? i found 4.7m ones but the element is actually built in the knob so it can't be replaced, the are 6$usd a peice and they don't come in the other configs we need to use them for all the pots!! WTF?

[quote author="Svart"]get bd135/136 at www.newark.com in the US. now what about those 4.7m linpots and 22k linpots, where the heck did you get those?? i found 4.7m ones but the element is actually built in the knob so it can't be replaced, the are 6$usd a peice and they don't come in the other configs we need to use them for all the pots!! WTF?[/quote]

I got the pots from www.reichelt.de .
Crappy RadiOhm carbon pots, but there is not much alternative for 5 meg values.

But for my next 1176 clone, I'll use rotary switches with resistors instead of the attack / release pots. I think 11 positions are ok dor attack / release. The level knobs will be high quality pots, of course.

JH.

JH.

Would this 5 meg pot work? It's www.Digikey.com part number RV6L505C-ND, or this number CT2361-ND, or this 308N505-ND.

[quote author="Learner"]speaking of pots, where did you get the frequency pot for your JH-5 synth?[/quote]

The pots are standard multiturn pots, Spectrol if memory serves.

You probably mean the dials; these are surplus stuff from Siemens.
Similar dials are carried by most electronics suppliers (quite expensive, in the 20 ... 30 Euro range), though not the very same ones.

JH.

[quote author="jhaible"][quote author="Learner"]speaking of pots, where did you get the frequency pot for your JH-5 synth?[/quote]

The pots are standard multiturn pots, Spectrol if memory serves.

You probably mean the dials; these are surplus stuff from Siemens.
Similar dials are carried by most electronics suppliers (quite expensive, in the 20 ... 30 Euro range), though not the very same ones.

JH.[/quote]

Hi JH,
Yes, that's what I meant the dial knob. I have never seen anything like it from any electronic stores........GREAT STUFF BTW! :thumb:

>Yes, that's what I meant the dial knob. I have never seen anything like it >from any electronic stores

You might want to look at www.rs-components.de and type 509428
into their search function. Not ecatly the same, but close enough.
Or try 3576831 for a similar one.
Another impressive looking dial would be 509973.

JH.

hey guys, i found 5m and 25k pots.. www.mouser.com 31VA605 for the 5M and 31VA403 for the 25k. they are 1.25$usd a peice. they also have all the other values too so they will all be the same style.

Hey ya'll,

Take a look at the 47 capacitor on the main pcb diagram and tell me if it's pf or uf. It's right next to the 470k resistor and close to Q12 and q13. I put a 47uf in there but I am not sure about this move. Thanks.

Hi Orson!

How's it going?

Yea, the cap near Q12 and Q13 is a 47uF electrolytic cap (C18 in the Gyraf schematic)

Are things all good now you've done your bias setup?

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Afraid not. Read page 3 and see where I stand. Basically my Vu meter is not reacting properely. It drops dramatically with each setting of the compression ratio switch -1:4 moves it far to the left and 1:20 is at 0. Jakob mentions a "point 7 " on the board - where is that?

[quote author="Svart"]hey guys, i found 5m and 25k pots.. www.mouser.com 31VA605 for the 5M and 31VA403 for the 25k. they are 1.25$usd a peice. they also have all the other values too so they will all be the same style.[/quote]

Thanks Svart! I'm going to copy this info over to the parts thread, just to keep it there as well, because that's the comprehensive list for north america.

What effect will increasing the value of the attack and release times have on the attack and release time? Will it just allow for slower attack and release times at one end of the pot?

Thanks,

Jay :thumb:

Hi there,

this is my first entry, but I already solved some problems with the help of this thread.
Unfortunately this time I couldn't find the topic that answers my questions.
I just finished a 1176 and it seems to work. The only thing that doesn't work is the VU-Meter which is kind of a no name product. No reaction at all. The meter works fine if I put it in my SSL-Clone where I normally use a Behringer Meter (like discussed in another thread). It shows the same values. None of those two work in the 1176.
Does anyone know the solution???

Thanks
Christoph

Hi Christoph,

Welcome to The Lab.

There is quite a difference between the meters in the SSLClone and the 1176.

The 1176 meter MUST be an AC-reading type - the one with an integral diode bridge. The SSL-Meter on the other hand, is a normal DC-reading type.

To use a DC-meter with the 1176, you'll need to mount it with a diode-bridge, four (preferably germanium) diodes rectifieng the signal to the meter. And then add a resistor in series, so that the sensitivity is around showing 0dB VU at +4dBM signal level.

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]I
Also check how DC-levels( signal and no-signal, different ratios) behave at point7 , where your control voltage can be read out.

Jakob E.[/quote]

Point 7?

Point7 referring to the schematic - where the stereo interlink could have been placed.

You can e.g. find this point at the ratio control pcb, right where attack and release pots meet...

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]
Try letting a sub-threshold signal through (some 25mV or so) and check if the signal level is also affected by the ratio switch.
[/quote]

Yes the signal level is also affected by the ratio switch.

[quote author="gyraf"]

Jakob E.[/quote]

DC-levels change with the turning of the ratio switch with and without signal applied.

Back