Huge 115VDC power supply - any use?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurango

At a local electronic salvage store I ran across this monster 115vdc power supply, complete with schematics and design notes from the manufacturer. It's cheap, but I'm not sure what I could do with it. Maybe a tube amp power supply? Any ideas? Would anyone here have a use for such a thing? Thanks!

EDIT: Pic upload never works for me on GDIY, pics here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxiPOzSDUqGKTDV4bU1OZkhmS0U

mjrippe said:
That is not a DC power supply.  It re-generates 60 cycle AC more accurately than the power line 60 cycles (which does vary).

Oh, wow. How did I miss that? Hmmmm, well I can't think of much use for something like that in audio, since most everything is converted to DC anyway.

jdurango said:
Oh, wow. How did I miss that? Hmmmm, well I can't think of much use for something like that in audio, since most everything is converted to DC anyway.

Might be something to consider if you are playing a Hammond tone-wheel organ powered by a generator ....

Andy Peters said:
Might be something to consider if you are playing a Hammond tone-wheel organ powered by a generator ....

Lol i wish I lived a life where something like that would be a likely possibility ;)

jdurango said:

Could this be used in a studio to give an Isolated 115V feed for problematic/noisy audio gear?

I heard about a mastering studio locally that was using something similar to generate their own 240V sines to power everything. Meant to be cleaner than the local power (which is pretty good) but I wouldn't argue the practical benefits of it.

I had a glance through the pics yesterday, from memory, 75VA?  Not much power if I saw that right.  Also, it specs max 3% distortion, I rarely see over 2.5% out of the wall on a given day.  That thing is first and foremost about frequency control. 

Was watching a backstage tour of the current AC/DC concert amp setup, which has to be the most insane tweaked out set of guitar rigs ever built.  They use similar (insanely expensive industrial) frequency and voltage 're-clocking' on the rigs (10-12 100W Marshalls per guitar, amps biased close to meltdown) so they can plug in anywhere in the world without having a change in sound.   

emrr said:
I had a glance through the pics yesterday, from memory, 75VA?  Not much power if I saw that right.  Also, it specs max 3% distortion, I rarely see over 2.5% out of the wall on a given day.  That thing is first and foremost about frequency control. 

Was watching a backstage tour of the current AC/DC concert amp setup, which has to be the most insane tweaked out set of guitar rigs ever built.  They use similar (insanely expensive industrial) frequency and voltage 're-clocking' on the rigs (10-12 100W Marshalls per guitar, amps biased close to meltdown) so they can plug in anywhere in the world without having a change in sound. 

Yes, I saw that it's a pretty cool video to watch and it makes sense to have always the same voltage. I bias Guitar tube amps at the workshop, we have 236V there from the wall.
People get the amp at home an they have 222V from the outlet, go to the practice room and they have 240V and complain that the Bias is not set correctly., well it will definitely change. The AC/DC system guarantees that the system sees always the same voltage and if the Bias changes is just because of tube wear

Yeah, and I remember they put in new power tubes every gig too.  They want to know EXACTLY where the flaming edge is so they get get right up on it. 

jdurango said:
Lol i wish I lived a life where something like that would be a likely possibility ;)

Well, I guess I should be careful what I wish for. Now that COVID has hit, I'm doing a series of gigs in the forests of the PNW and have bought a generator with very high AC distortion (20% +) to power gear.....one of the bands we may be booking is an oldschool funk/soul band.....and you guessed it, HAMMOND B3 ORGAN! LMAO!!!

Man I could really use that thing now! Guess I should've scooped it up when I had the chance ;)

Back