Another Osciloscope Advise thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hi,
I've been needing an osciloscope for quite sometime.

I bought one that would serve my needs but came non functioning,  there's some problems in the high tension part so I don't want to mess with it at least for now.

So my question is,
what's in your opinion is the "SM57" of Analog Osciloscopes?

I'm looking for something from the 80/90's, affordable, simple, from a good brand, nothing fancy but perfectly capable, that sold a lot of units at it's time so there will be more chances of buying one second hand and with widespread information and documentation in case it needs repair in the future.

2 channels, 5Mhz or more,  Vertical sensitivity at 5mV/div or better

Thanks

Hi Whoops

I know I am not an expert since I just recently bought my own for the first time. I got many good advises about buying a used one to learn with and I suppose that could be a great idea… If I knew it would work properly.

So I I went for a new one.. https://www.elfa.se/sv/oscilloscope-analogue-2x30-mhz-gw-instek-gos-630fc/p/17618044?q=oscilloskop&filter_Category3=Oscilloskop&filter_Category4=Oscilloskop+analoga&page=2&origPos=3&origPageSize=50&simi=94.88

Since I, at least at the moment, only work with analog circuits I guess it will be just fine.

If you would like another one I could recommend this supplier: https://www.elfa.se/search?q=oscilloskop&filter_Category3=Oscilloskop

I know it is in swedish that might be hard to understand unless being a swede, but the company is located (or at least have their storage in Belgium I think) so they might have other languages available. They claim to be one of the largest supplier in northern europe :)  Hope it works out for you.

Best regards

/John

Whoops said:
I'm looking for something from the 80/90's, affordable, simple, from a good brand, nothing fancy but perfectly capable, that sold a lot of units at it's time so there will be more chances of buying one second hand and with widespread information and documentation in case it needs repair in the future.

Not really a recommendation, the B+K 1479B 30 Mhz has served me well over the last 15+ years, and meets your spec's. Not many bells and whistles, but all the basics are there, including the very useful (to me) differential input function between two probes. Adds ch A + B, and invert ch B polarity for A - B.

Gene

johnheath said:
I know I am not an expert since I just recently bought my own for the first time. I got many good advises about buying a used one to learn with and I suppose that could be a great idea… If I knew it would work properly.
So I I went for a new one..

Thank you so much John, but I'm really looking for something that I can buy in the used market, and that might have a wider users knowledge base, and a well known brand.

Something like Philips, Tektronix, HP, Hitachi.

like the "SM57", or the "Marshall JCM900", "Fender stratocaster", or "Quad 405" for osciloscopes.
Hope there is a basic, standard model that a lot of people used and accepted at some point.

As I was a child in the 80/90's and only got into electronics in 2007 I don't really know the models from that period

Gene Pink said:
Not really a recommendation, the B+K 1479B 30 Mhz has served me well over the last 15+ years, and meets your spec's. Not many bells and whistles, but all the basics are there, including the very useful (to me) differential input function between two probes. Adds ch A + B, and invert ch B polarity for A - B.

Yes it definitely would fit my needs.

Whoops said:
One thing I really didn't like was that the Service Documents were quite bad, confusing and lacking info.
I wasn't aware of that, good to know, thanks. The only problem with mine so far, is dirty input range switches, one of these days I'll pull it apart and spray them.
It's quite the opposite from any Tektronix or HP Service Documents that are really tight and complete.
That is so true,  15 years ago I emailed HP about a freq counter from the '40s, and got a huge and complete pdf. Back in the early '80's I called Tectronics on the phone for a 310(?) scope service manual, and got two micro fiches(!) in the mail. Luckily, a close friend that worked in a large office had access to a copier that printed micro fiche, he showed up with near a ream of paper that took him 5 hours to do. My initial comment: "You didn't print it double-sided?"  ;D

He almost took a swing at me.

Gene

I compiled some info from web searches and reading.
I said from the 80/90's, it seems the time period would be more like from late 60's to early 90's

from the info I gathered this ones seem to be quite popular models, easy to service and with available Service documentarion:

TEKTRONIX
465B
465M
475A
2235A

HP
1740A
1741A
1745A

Hitachi
V-212
V-222