need a reliable source and brand for ECC81 tubes in europe ( 20 pieces )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see many exotic branded tubes , some claiming to be military labeled Mullards,
others rebranded Ei.
Prices for unknown brands  go from 8 to 35 euro.
I'm lost. :eek:

The UE100 seems to be VERY forgiving when it comes to tube types. I would just get some halfway-decent types (maybe EI?), check that they actually work, put them in, and forget about it...

Also, if you're restoring, it's far from unthinkable that most original tubes are still within specs..

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
The UE100 seems to be VERY forgiving when it comes to tube types. I would just get some halfway-decent types (maybe EI?), check that they actually work, put them in, and forget about it...

Also, if you're restoring, it's far from unthinkable that most original tubes are still within specs..

Jakob E.

true , I measured them and 80% of them are still within specs, but now the whole unit is disassembled it's better to do it  now.
I know it's a bit of an overkill.
The hardest thing is cleaning those switches. Still looking for a good procedure.

PLEASE post your findings, methods and procedures...

I'll have to go down that route sometime in the not too distant future (if I can get my local ME to let go of them for a while).

Jakob E.

I have good results cleaning the switches with kontakt 60 and isopropyl in that order.
Replaced  " all"  electrolytics .
The only thing that bothers me are the  loud  thumps when switching from linear ( bypass) to active.
A design flaw , or should I look somewhere at the gain stage ?

Measure the DC Volts at the switch, both ways. You probably have a leaky coupling cap.

I use JJ ECC81 tubes, never had any problem with them:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/ECC81-12AT7-Gold-JJ.html

http://www.banzaimusic.com/ECC81-12AT7-JJ.html

PRR said:
Measure the DC Volts at the switch, both ways. You probably have a leaky coupling cap.

I isolated module A.  low shelf.
Didn't measure anything suspicious.
The thump is there when switching from 6 to12dB/octave at a fairly high boost.
I think it's inherent to the design , no ?

Latest posts

Back