Upgrade Switches for Toft ATB console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Howdy All,

I'm new here.
I would like to replace noisy switches on my Toft console,mainly for the EQ on/off.
Does anyone know of a better replacement switch and part number.

I read a post from SSLtech,from 2 years ago and he said Schadow 4 pole and C&K 2 pole. No mention of part #'s.
Any info would be appreciated !

thanks
Eric

It´s quite possible that not the switches but the circuit around the switch is the problem. If you have leaky electrolytics around your switch, then they will let pass a tiny bit of current, charging the switch contacts hence building up a voltage across the switch. If you then press the button the switches´contacts discharge their load and you hear that as noise. All that means that recapping would cure the problem. You can try that in one problematic channel to see if it helps. If yes, then recap the rest of your desk, if no replace the switches.
But you wont find many "better quality" switches because there are not so many manufacturers out there. A picture would help to find out what type of switch has been used.

It's not the caps. All the switches make noise when you push in and out. It's PITA when mixing,switching the eq in/out of the channel,you can here the noise !

I had Jim Williams from AudioUpgrades do a complete mod on the whole console years ago. Still sounding great,but some of the cheap things,like the switches and pots are going.

Here's two pics.

So if Jim Williams did mod your desk then it´s quite possible that a DC offset problem causes the noise. He often replaces coupling caps with wirebridges without any other measures to control DC offset along the audiopath. If you don´t measure it then you don´t know it. Believing is not knowing...

pucho812 said:
The toft outside of the front end is a trident 80B for the most part. The switches are cheap and get scratchy real easy.

and not only on the 80B , but also in many other Trident desks ,
Amek , …and Soundcrat ,  Soundtracs , included  ,

i remember a so old  thread ..
about trying to clean up around  30  switches  on each channel of a 40ch mixing desk …. , what a odyssey..

and what a shame ,  use that (short life)  type of switches …on the many tens of thousands euro mixing desk ,

it is  really not possible a better type of switch alternative ?

Back