Neumann M50 - history

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would really don't pay attention to the stories about "problems with electricity" :)
"The project began in 1948 and these ones were manufactured as prototypes in 1950."
That's funny because these schematics from 1950 are updates for circuits from 1947 :D
Motivations of designers could be very different.
For me it looks like it was designed in the spirit of CMV5/B.
VF14 rather couldn't be used with common voltage for B+ and heaters, because there's completely no space inside the body for heat dissipation and making seperate high voltage heaters would be non profitable (i think).
They probably didn't know these days all the urban legends related to VF14, all these stories started ca. 50 years after :D :D :D
Tube rectifier, hmm... Could be lower noise than selenium or silicon rectifier. Higher resistance causing voltage drop (selenium also, so hmm...).  Don't know how fluctuations looks in comparison, but definately it wasn't regulated psu.
Tube recitifiers also works a little bit as a "soft start" so maybe that was the reason? Or designer could be old prick which prefered tube rectifiers over selenium or silicon :D
90V of polarisation voltage! This one probably was low noise :D
Neumann M50 capsule is really different. Diaphragm  is more outside the sphere, irt version is much more hidden inside after mesh. This could affect response a little.

One thing is strange to me. PSU!
Are you sure that it's proper unit for these microphones? It looks strange, really strange.
Pinout for PSU is different than microphone pinout. Inside PSU is exactly the same output transformer as in microphone for now i could only speculate its function. "RK" - "K"  for calibration?

Definately i would be interested in manual :D

Vili?
Why did you removed all posts???
It was great topic!!!!
I tried sent you PM for manual, but your inbox is full, so please check your email ;)

Back