Vu meter Problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioman

Hi All,
I have a problem with the meter of my summing mixer
when the output of the summing mixer is connected to another machine with no signal in input the meter are ok , but when i disconnect the output cables of the summing mixer (no load) the vu meter goes to full scale without any signal applied
How can i solve this problem ??
The vu meter have a buffer card mounted on the back

This question is like saying:
'My car doesn't go. Why?'
You need to supply A LOT more detail. But if the meter displays OK when loaded, and high when not loaded, it implies that the output impedance of your mixer is very high, or the loading is very low.

Audioman said:
Hi All,
when the output of the summing mixer is connected to another machine with no signal in input the meter are ok , but when i disconnect the output cables of the summing mixer (no load) the vu meter goes to full scale without any signal applied
Is there an input termination (bleed) resistor on the meter input to ground?

JR

Hi radardoug ,
Tell me which informations you need to know for clearify the problem and i'll give you

radardoug said:
This question is like saying:
'My car doesn't go. Why?'
You need to supply A LOT more detail. But if the meter displays OK when loaded, and high when not loaded, it implies that the output impedance of your mixer is very high, or the loading is very low.

Audioman said:
Hi All,
It could be either a DC leak or an oscillation. Do you have a voltmeter? You may check if there's any DC; if not, that would suggest an oscillation. Some output stages are prone to oscillation when they are not loaded.  In order to be 100% sure you need an oscilloscope.

Audioman said:
with the Neumann V475-2 summing amp (transformer floating output) from another thread ?
when the output of the summing mixer is connected to another machine
Wild guessing and depending on hook up maybe debalancing the output and tying one transformer secondary end to a reference voltage/gnd that your secret name (real VU?) meter connects to for reference ?

Hi Harpo
Yess the Neumann V475-2 same unit of the other thread
yess these are real vu meter (the vu meter and buffer card is taken from an old soundcraft)
in attached the schematic of the vu meter board

Harpo said:
with the Neumann V475-2 summing amp (transformer floating output) from another thread ?
Wild guessing and depending on hook up maybe debalancing the output and tying one transformer secondary end to a reference voltage/gnd that your secret name (real VU?) meter connects to for reference ?

Hi All ,
I identified the problem of my vu meter and i need your Help /advice for solving the problem.
In my build i had use two separate PSU , one for the Neumann V475-2 (0V + 24V) and another for the Vu meter Card Buffer (+/- 15V)
When i connect the output of my summing mixer to the input audio of the vu meter the Vu meter PSU (+/- 15V) gave back a DC current (10V) on the audio circuit !!
So the vu meter goes to full scale
How can i solve this ??

Audioman said:
In my build i had use two separate PSU , one for the Neumann V475-2 (0V + 24V) and another for the Vu meter Card Buffer (+/- 15V)

Do you use separate transformers or separate  windings on one transformer? 

Could you sketch how did you connect secondaries of the transformer to your power supplies?
Also could you measure potential between common/ground pins of your power supplies (voltage between "0" of single PS for V475 and common/ground on the dual power supply of the VU meter buffer) when the buffer isn't connected to V475?

Latest posts

Back