getting organized in the new year + goals check-in

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyfromdenver

it's always nice in a small room to go up! *pic* this was about 6 years overdue.

2017: hope to get a capsule for the matador c12, make a big push on the handwired LA2A, and buy a few more books.

hope you guys get lots done, and have a healthy and peaceful year.

state a goal here and we can revisit next December!  ;) :p

Andy

My Goals frequently get side tracked by making lists of projects , priorities  with dates & details

i am slowly purging, and the big goal is use what I have more often while stream lining and being
more efficient .

Didn't we open a 12 step category on prodigy ?

We moved into a new facility that is 3 times as large at the top of the year.  We are still getting it all set up. The nice thing is starting from scratch we can really do it up right vs haphazardly.

Nice thread and idea.

My goals for 2017:
- Organize all my components into the proper drawers
- Finish once for all my Hoffman AB763 guitar amplifier
- Repair all the broken, as is, non working guitar pedals I bought on ebay in the last years, and don't buy anymore
- Don't buy any more pcb's for future projects
- Repair my non-working Osciloscope
- Build a Utracer (tube tester)
- Build a capacitor reformer
- Build a 5 variable rail bench PSU
- Repair and Restore my 3 tape echo units (Copicat, Echolette and Dynacord echcord)
- Don't buy any more pcb's for future projects, Dont buy more gear to fix and restore
- Sell non used gear, sell extra pcb's, sell extra transformers, sell some extra 40 guitar pedals

andyfromdenver said:
and i've been hankering to make a joke about how weird our toilet reading must seem to guests... ::)

I think one of your goals ought to be to fix the grouting around that sink!

Cheers

Ian

andyfromdenver said:
my gigging amp now is a Princeton Reverb on steroids: 12" alnico spkr, Mercury Mag fatstack low B+ PT (B+ ~400VDC) and Deluxe reverb OT, slower trem, and a few extra resistors to help the overdrive tone, it's soo good.

Great Setup you have,
I started my Hoffman Ab763 in 2008, was never able to make it work properly.  Oscillations, Squeals, Tubes mechanically hissing, a lot of crazy stuff. Hopefully this year I will find all the problems and make it work properly.

Let's talk 1 year from now

;)

andyfromdenver said:
and i've been hankering to make a joke about how weird our toilet reading must seem to guests... ::)

I got that same comment on general reading collection from a friend who spent the night once.  Nothing too conducive to bed time reading.

Electronics manufacturing processes, Self's Small Signal Audio, jiujitsu instructional, law enforcement weapons and tactics, guitar setup instructional...  At least now I have a nice mix of Hardy Boys books in with my tech stuff.

We are moving into temporary accommodation next week so my entire workshop will be packed up. Recording gear will still be in operation although with reduced functionality. In a couple or three months we move to out brand new house bungalow. The spare bedroom will be used for recording but there is no room for a workshop. So I am having a log cabin built in the garden for my workshop. So my goal this year is to get properly set up in my new log cabin workshop and maybe record some music.

Cheers

Ian

> I am having a log cabin built in the garden for my workshop.

A log cabin?? In England?

If you need logs, send a ship and timberjack/jill. I got trees growing too crowded, need to clear some before they jackstraw. Got a 35' ready to haul, another snagged, and at least 50 which could come out.

Finish console, finish console, finish console. Get some Phono Transfer System builds out in the world.

PRR said:
> I am having a log cabin built in the garden for my workshop.

A log cabin?? In England?

If you need logs, send a ship and timberjack/jill. I got trees growing too crowded, need to clear some before they jackstraw. Got a 35' ready to haul, another snagged, and at least 50 which could come out.

Log cabins in England are not the same as the ones I remember seeing in the black and white Davy Crocket TV series. Ours are much more modest affairs.

https://www.summergardenbuildings.co.uk/products/log-cabins/log-cabin-11305585.html

Cheers

Ian

> Davy Crocket ... Ours are....

Interesting.

Your lumber-cabin:
https://www.summergardenbuildings.co.uk/images/products/L/LOG-CABIN-11305585/p4o_LOG-CABIN-11305585.jpg

What you could build with my logs (and a lot of labor!):
http://www.britishlogcabins.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Somerset-Log-Cabin-5.jpg

Your cabin is more efficient on tree-consumption, and more efficient to heat. (However I can take you to a cabin of 24"+ logs which might compete with two lumber-layers and some stuffing.)

I have not seen your type here. We (meaning Canada!) run a lot of lumber with machines to do the grooves, so the tooling is in place.

FWIW, what most folks hereabouts think of "log cabin" is large timber fully milled top/bottom and often milled flat inside and fake-log outside. Runs 5"-6" thick and about 4" per course.
http://www.logcabinhomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/BCL10A.jpg

PRR said:
What you could build with my logs (and a lot of labor!):
http://www.britishlogcabins.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Somerset-Log-Cabin-5.jpg

That's the one I remember from Davey Crocket. I could just about fit that in my back garden!

Cheers

Ian

In Texas, we don't need that level of robustness, so it is usually just steel shells over 2X4 wood frames, plywood floors on 2X8 joists, the whole thing on skids, insulate and finish off the inside however you like, or have them do it.

http://www.morganbuildings.com/storage.html

I have a 14' X 40' from this company, it was already here and well-worn when I bought the place near 30 years ago, roof hasn't leaked yet.

And being on skids it is classed as "Portable", doesn't count as a permanent structure, and thus are not subject to property taxes. "It's just here for now."  ;D

Gene

Gene Pink said:
I have a 14' X 40' from this company, it was already here and well-worn when I bought the place near 30 years ago, roof hasn't leaked yet.

And being on skids it is classed as "Portable", doesn't count as a permanent structure, and thus are not subject to property taxes. "It's just here for now."  ;D

Gene
In the UK. this would be called a temporary building so you don't need planning permission to erect it. All properties have a 'Council Tax Band' which is the equivalent of your property taxes but it is assessed once. It does not seem to matter what you do to the property thereafter, the band does not change.

Cheers

Ian

> properties have a 'Council Tax Band' which is the equivalent of your property taxes but it is assessed once.

PAID every year, I assume? (Or monthly installments in Wirral.)

Wirral Council Tax bands 2016-2017
Band Property values  2016-17
A  Up to £40,001          £1,043.29
B  £40,000 - £52,001  £1,217.18
C  £52,000 - £68,001  £1,391.06 . . . . .
"Council Tax you pay depends on how much the property was worth on 1st April 1991."

In much (not all) the US, they used to use old-old appraisals. A $100K house might be on the rolls as $12K (in 1955). (Of course the tax rate was computed to cover the municipal budget, regardless how old and un-inflated the appraisal was.)

In our flimsy knock-down / add-on construction, actual value would change radically over the decades, and not uniformly across all properties in town. Old appraisals (corrected for inflation) began to diverge wildly from actual current sale prices. Some folks felt they were over-charged relative to now-nicer homes in the same area. They sued.

In the few states I know, the Tax must be based on Current Market Value supported by recent appraisal. The over-taxed NJ town I moved out of was doing this. Nominally they want to walk-through and count the toilets and grade the floors and wallboard. Square foot inside and acres outside go to a formula. Here there is a stiff factor for Water View.

> It does not seem to matter what you do to the property thereafter

I would assume if you bought a 3-room shack, and built a 5-storey hotel or office of 20X floor area, they would want to raise the tax. Wal-Mart bought an empty field worth maybe $5K of tax, and now pays >$500K tax (and whines about it).

The guy we bought this shack from was not taking care of business. We appealed our appraisal on the grounds it was very run-down, and our open-market price-paid was 3/4 of what it was appraised. A guy came out to see, and knocked some $K off the appraisal. We then added-on a living room and built a garage, with Permits, and that data was added to our appraisal. (We ended up paying more, but living better, and as fairly appraised as we should expect.)

Appraisals are dated, and each year an average market factor is applied to reflect how "all" prices have moved up (1990s) or down (2009). That's the big number on our bill.

The tax is computed by "mil rate", essentially a fraction of the value. This varies, because in recent years valuations have been up/down while town budgets just grow slowly. The actual tax does not vary near as much, mostly rises a tolerable small amount every year.

In NJ the property tax is based on assessed private sale price each Oct 1.

"New Jersey’s real property tax is 'ad valorem' or a 'tax according to the value' meaning that each person pays tax based on the value of the property he or she owns.
"The State Constitution at Article VIII, Section 1, Paragraph 1 requires, property to be assessed for taxation by general laws and uniform rules and that all real property,.., must be assessed according to the same standard of value... the true value of property.... as the price at which,.., each parcel of real property 'would sell for at a fair and bona fide sale by private contract on October 1 next preceding the date on which the assessor shall complete his assessments....'"

Also:

"Each annual assessment of property for tax purposes is separate and distinct from the assessment for any other year"

However I know full-well that towns generally "correct" last year's number for this year. You can't possibly do a walk-through every year. Some towns set a goal of 3-year on-site checks, which slips to 5-6 years, unless someone asks for a re-assessment. You would think when a property sold, they might want to look-in, but in our three buys that only happened the one time we appealed.

PRR said:
> properties have a 'Council Tax Band' which is the equivalent of your property taxes but it is assessed once.

PAID every year, I assume? (Or monthly installments in Wirral.)

Wirral Council Tax bands 2016-2017
Band Property values  2016-17
A  Up to £40,001          £1,043.29
B  £40,000 - £52,001  £1,217.18
C  £52,000 - £68,001  £1,391.06 . . . . .
"Council Tax you pay depends on how much the property was worth on 1st April 1991."
Yes. The rate (how many pence you pay per £ of rateable value) is set by the local council each year and generally increases (although central government does sometimes impose a cap). You get a bill annually which you can either pay in full or in 10 monthly instalments.
In much (not all) the US, they used to use old-old appraisals. A $100K house might be on the rolls as $12K (in 1955). (Of course the tax rate was computed to cover the municipal budget, regardless how old and un-inflated the appraisal was.)
When you buy a new house, it is assessed and its band is determined. You can appeal against this but in my experience the assessors tend to be quite generous. You can improve the property as much as you like after that without it being reassesd. There have been threats to reassess the bands based on current prices but this has caused howls of protest and no government that wants to stay in power is going to risk it. I think they all learned a lesson when Maggie Thatcher tried to replace it with a poll tax based on the number of adults living in each property.
> It does not seem to matter what you do to the property thereafter

I would assume if you bought a 3-room shack, and built a 5-storey hotel or office of 20X floor area, they would want to raise the tax. Wal-Mart bought an empty field worth maybe $5K of tax, and now pays >$500K tax (and whines about it).

The guy we bought this shack from was not taking care of business. We appealed our appraisal on the grounds it was very run-down, and our open-market price-paid was 3/4 of what it was appraised. A guy came out to see, and knocked some $K off the appraisal. We then added-on a living room and built a garage, with Permits, and that data was added to our appraisal. (We ended up paying more, but living better, and as fairly appraised as we should expect.)

New properties have to be assessed so if you bought a plot of land and then built on it, the rate would be assessed on the completed property as a whole. You can certainly add extensions without being reassessed and it is not as if the council is unaware of these because you need to apply to them for planning permission for the extensions. There seems to be no mechanism for them to reassess following improvements.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back