Anyone interested to build a TG1 clone ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wade goeke said:
I apologize to John for bringing his name into this where it may not belong.

Wade, thank you for doing that and also for the emails, much appreciated.

wade goeke said:
I have do not own the Intellectual Property related to the TG equipment and dont have the right to tell anyone what to do with it. BUT just so you guys know EMI does own the rights and what they do is completely up to them.

Nothing that is built by a DIYer for "personal use only" is breaking any law. 
There are of course some issues if you're selling something as a product but, as applied to these circuits we're talking about here, it only concerns the branding or product name.  In other words, the use of someone else's trademark(s) .

Case in point: there are a host of Neve, API, LA-2A, Pultec etc "clones" being sold on the market because the circuits themselves are up for grabs.  There is no Intellectual Property infringement.  The current Neve, API or Universal Audio can only stop a company building units if said company brands their product as a "Neve" or "API" or Universal Audio/Teletronix.  In other words, infringes on a trademark.  Likewise, none of these EMI circuits are protected by I.P.  Naturally, you don't want to put EMI or Abbey Road or Chandler on your front panel and sell it on the market.  And even though there is no current trademark for "TG", I wouldn't think it a good idea to use that in a product name too. 
Again, if you build a unit just for yourself, and you never sell it, you can put whatever you want on the front. 

My experience with EMI legal was in regard to my use of the name "REDD47" on a product and also the pending trademark of same I had with the U.S.P.T.O.  As a solution to what would probably end up being a very expensive litigation process, I agreed to abandon the trademark process and not build and sell a product called a REDD47.  I could still build the exact same pre amp... I'd just call it something else.  For a while I did just that and EMI had no issue whatsoever with it being known as the R47. 

Anyway, thanks again Wade for chiming in. 

John.

Thanks to all you guys for your cool responses. I was hoping nothing would turn into a big issue especially my first time on here. Too much stress!

I surely understand where you guys are coming from when you mention money. After all its what got me started doing this. I absolutely could not afford 1073s so :) Maybe thats what scares me just a touch about the whole thing. Ha ha ha!!!

It was nice to actually "talk" to Winston for once. We have known of each other for years and never exchanged a word. Cheers Winston! Cool trading mails with you!

Dont burn yourselves on those irons!
Best wishes
Wade

Thanks, Wade.  We have other professionals here like Mr. Kennedy of Great River and we are always pleased to have a successful equipment maker come by and post.  

I was going to write something along the lines of Winston's post, that it all comes down to respecting trademarks and brands.  Everyone here is doing this for personal use only, as a hobby, and some people who sell the PCBs explicitly do so with "not for commercial use" or similar, printed on the PCBs and/or in the group buys.  I believe this is 100% where Uncle Fester is coming from as well.  

Finally, it is totally frowned upon here to sell anything anyone builds in two following ways; first of all for profit (usually if sales are made it's within this forum and only for approximate value of the parts -- this is OK), and secondly, it's a big no-no to sell something with a brand name to the public.  It's very rare, I can only think of of a few instances like the GSSL, and most people here find it antithetical to the spirit of our group and DIY.  

Finally, as ruairioflaherty said, most of us may eagerly collect parts and PCBs but then run out of time and sometimes money and very few projects get built in the end over time compared to the original sign ups.  And again, these are for personal use, not for sale, not for resale and 99+% will remain in basements and home studios and general obscurity!  

We are not trying to make money, or bash anyone, or displace commercial sales.  If anything, the under-the-hood nuts-and-bolts discussions here lead to an appreciation of quality design.  

These are my impressions anyway of the generous sharing and respectful climate I've seen here.

And lastly, I too hope the group will show less interest in "cloning" and more interest in adapting and building unique versions upon great legendary designs as well as new ones.  

Tommy - nice post and fully agree here :)

Wade - Very cool of you to have that attitude ... we mean no harm with these projects :)

Fester - come back we need you !!!

Marty.

off topic warning!

tommypiper said:
and secondly, it's a big no-no to sell something with a brand name to the public.  It's very rare, I can only think of of a few instances like the GSSL, and most people here find it antithetical to the spirit of our group and DIY.    

how about studios "marketing" equipment on their website as "Gyraf 1176" etc? I know jacob didn't build them...

EEMO1 said:
off topic warning!

tommypiper said:
and secondly, it's a big no-no to sell something with a brand name to the public.  It's very rare, I can only think of of a few instances like the GSSL, and most people here find it antithetical to the spirit of our group and DIY.   

how about studios "marketing" equipment on their website as "Gyraf 1176" etc? I know jacob didn't build them...

"Marketing"? Do you mean that they are selling them, or that they just have them on their equipment list, available to use?

If it's the latter, and the unit is built to Jakob's design and specification, and it works properly, then that's the correct designation. Why should it matter who built it?

If they are actually selling them as Gyraf-built units, on the other hand, then that's fraud.

Topic has been locked at the request of several members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back