Anyone interested to build a TG1 clone ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

HI,
Is anybody interested to share some info to build a TG1 clone ?
Anyone has the schematics ? or any info ?
Thanks

Phil

[quote author="pucho812"]Um I think that was discussed here before and I recall words like lawsuit but I might be wrong.[/quote]

I wonder why that is? (respectfully of course.)

Just because there's an officially sanctioned clone/re-issue out there?

There's also an officially licensed 1073 and 1176
and those are the most widely cloned units in the lab
without internal opposition.

So I guess as long as you call it an EMI or Abbey Road TG1, that's OK, just don't call it a chanandler...

In fact I was interested to buy one.(I own 2 33609,2254,phoenix,dbx's,etc...).Looking for a different flavor.But after reading MANY post talking about the build qualities....I was wondering if I could build it myself maybe..(and not spend 4K)...But I need help.I can get one unit in loan.(probably 3-4 days).
What would be the best way to copy the PCB ?
Easy for the transformer (I thing I have them somewhere...).
Would be great if someone has the schematics...and someone who interested to build one (to share all these info).Anyone knows if there is some rare component inside ? Special diode ?

thanks
P.

I would think that if you are building the clone for yourself and not mass producing them for resale that it's not an issue.

I wonder why that is? (respectfully of course.)

well lets see our very own winston o'boogie who was makging a pre amp based off of the red47 console which as well all know was an EMI/TG got into some law suit trouble over it. I don't know the details but I know something happened.
I would heed advise and steer clear.

Its incredible how easily intimated people are from eeven having a discussion. This whole nonsense is especially ironic if you know chandlers history with that product.

dave

you dont think wade had like, PERMISSION or something like that to make those fromm the start, do you? That certianly woudlnt explain why the artwork on the frontpanels has changed over the years...

the only reason this is a big deal is because the schematic isnt widely available. If it was, all these spinelss companies that rip off everyone elses design would be making COPIES just like they are with everyone elses shit. But this isnt a widely published schematic, so its a big fucking secret and the people that have it are going to great lenghts to protect it. God forbid we have a discussion here about it though, while respecting everyones copyrights. That would be a real violation.

the double standard is naseuating.

dave

heh , id clone the hell out it ,

i really don't think any company would be happy with this group ,

but who cares.

you can either shell out 5000 , or diy .

i think it's fun ,
:green:

hey , renting gear to clone , now thats fun

Thanks for all these infos.
I don't think ANYBODY can say to you ANYTHING if you build it for youself.(and only for yourself).
And I am not triing to copy any of th metalwork.
I mean using this box in my own studio,doing records,without renting or selling the box should be no problem
My goal was just to try to get some info, and if people was interested to share them.
If people are afraid (OF WHAT ???!!!???) then I will try to do it myself.
Thanks "soudguy".Always with the right arguments...

Phil

well, nobody can say anything to you about building it for yourself, but manufacturers read this board, one of them is building a design that was up here not long ago right now. The worry that manufacturers have is that someone posts their crap up here and then some company lurking here sees it and then steals their design. A while ago at the old place, someone posted a hand drawn schematic from a well known company who stole the original design from a 1950's text book but then got all bent out of shape when it turned up here and said all kinds of big legal words. It pretty much sucks for the company who is getting outed, but in so far as Im concerned, this is ridiculous for a company to be worried about, anyone that is going to rip off your design is just going to buy your product, copy the thing and sell it on ebay. Big f'ing deal. Welcome to the world we live in. And now there is this same kind of "oh wade designed it, stay away, respect that guy" thing going on and its fucking sickening. Ever look at the products he sells? One is a clone of a neve limiter, on is a clone of an EMI limiter. One is a clone of a neve EQ. And this is the dude we should be respecting? You guys have GOT to be kidding me with this. Big bad emi is going to come after you if you distribute the schematic? yes. Anyone that wants to steal the thing can pop the top on a tg-1, marvel at what cheap components are inside the $4k box, reverse it, sell it, and then somehow someone will try to find a way to blame it on us, the "cloners". Chandler is a respectable business. We are the cloners. Thats pretty classic.

Anything that EMI could possibly have to say about anything that goes on here is DULY applicable to Chandler. When your integrity as an entity is on the line, you should really be careful who you do business with. Well, we have this here licensing deal with this company that steals designs and profits from it, but we've come to silence this discussion over here with you ideally non profit folks because we dont want our circuit turned into open source code the way many neve designs have become. On one hand, how can you argue with them, but on the other, looking at WHO they decided to play ball with, jesus, how can you take it seriously.

Oh, but stay away or the big bad wolf will get you.

dave

After "Winston O'Boogie" published the schematics of the EMI output amp he disappeared from this place! :wink: Together with "our" Redd 47 pcb's?

[quote author="Tekay"]After "Winston O'Boogie" published the schematics of the EMI output amp he disappeared from this place! :wink: Together with "our" Redd 47 pcb's?[/quote]

Did anyone actually send him $$?

Maybe he was working for EMI, collecting advance royalties for to-be-built clones.

Kato

(Totally kidding Winston.) :grin:

I think he had problems because his preamps name was REDD47, not a very good idea in my opinion.
I'm sure if anyone would build and even sell the thing under another name and a different layout, there would be no problem.

chrissugar

Did anyone actually send him $$?

I did - a good few others I think too...

Have emailed the paypal address I sent to a cpl times (again I think a few peeps have tried getting a response from him) but no joy :evil:

Not that I'd build the thing anytime soon, but simple common courtesy of saying wtf is up would have sufficed - just gettin coin in and sayin sweet FA is not good...

whether or not they got a certain status dont come in to it in my book...

yep, me too. $10 lesson. Now I need to start learning from these lessons :oops:

Winston, no disrespect. Sorry to hear about your troubles and glad you are back with us. The value you have added here is invaluable and I spoke out of turn on a bad day. And thanks for the schematic![/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back