Unbalanced Out TO Balanced IN

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100WChris

Hi GroupDIY-ler,
i need some RCA to XLR adapters, so i searched the internet for Unbalanced/ Balanced connections.
I found two different ways

On the Presonus-Website i found this diagram, many people suggest this connection:
unbal-bal_1.png

But in the Rane "Sound System interconnection" pdf, they suggest another way, no 17 in the diagram:
unbal-bal-2.jpg

Now i wonder what is the difference and how i should solder my connectors?
Ok, i could use unbalanced cable with version 1 (Presonus), but this is probably not the only difference?
(i searched the internet and this forum, but i did not find the answer)
Thanks and best regards from munich!
Chris

The Rane way you need a 2 conductor balanced cable.  The big difference is it uses what is known as a telescoping shield.  The cable shield is connected at one end only.  This reduces ground loops.

It depends on your setup,  a lot of times both versions will work fine. But I would say the Rane version is more robust and preferred.  Build it like that if possible.

Ok, thanks a lot!
normally i follow the Rane-guidelines, but this time i was confused :)
I need the adapters to connect old DJ-Mixer to a mixing desk…
happy new year!
Chris

OK, the Rane-version wins :)

Could someone explain to me "why"? Whats the benefit over the "Presonus"-version, which seems to be the common way to connect unbalanced to balanced signals.
sorry for my questions, i try to understand that topic…
best regards
Chris

I (we?) presume both devices are connected to ground through the "third wire" (the one that connects to the chassis right where the power cord comes in ) in each power cord that goes to a correctly grounded outlet. This makes the voltages on the two chassis approximately the same. The balanced input cancels any possible difference in voltage between the two chassis (there usually is some millivolts or even a volt or two of 50/60Hz power line frequency between them), which would otherwise show up as audible hum in the Presonus example, due to the current going through the ground/shield connection between the two units.

If that's not understandable, get and read these Application Notes. These are a lot longer than what I wrote, but they have schematics showing what currents go where and why, making them a lot more understandable. You need to sign up with an email to get these, but it's free:
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/application-notes/

Also, the Rane note DOES explain some of this, so be sure to read every word of it. Maybe the reasons for the Rane text will become clear after reading the Jensen notes.

Latest posts

Back