Help with Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Crunch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

Hello

A friend brought me a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe complaining that the clean channel doesn't sound clean any more and is always crunchy. I replaced the tubes for new ones but it still isn't really really clean like it should be.
Any suggestions as to were to begin looking at?
Could it be a hot bias? Any ideas as what the bias should be set for that amp?

Thanks for the help
Cheers
Sono

Check to see that all the negative feedback circuits and associated resistors are healthy. Also check plate voltages.

check crunch sw also,  those guys are pretty cheap, just ordered some double decker stacked pushbuttons from Peavey for a Valve King, 2 bucks a pop , wtf, over? jus sayin...

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by crunch sw. Do you mean there's a crunch switch on the clean channel? Do you mean the "normal/bright" switch?

Hi

I have dealt with a couple of amps from the hot rod series.
In both cases, the channel switching had a mind of it's own.
Here's a link that may help.

cheers

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=59031.0

Just a question: if the channel switch is the problem it would mean that both channels clean and crunch get mixed giving the impression that the clean channel is distorted right?

Wouldn't setting the Master Volume to zero discard that?
Wouldn't toggling the More Drive switch change the sound?

I'm asking because both things don't...

8 out of 10 distorted output on clean settings caused by failed plate resistor on PI stage in Hot Rod amps I see

Latest posts

Back