Sontec EQ - Need help Troubleshooting High shelf switching

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

Hi guys,

I'm working on an EQ prototype based on the MEP250.

My High frequency band works perfectly in Bell mode but the moment I switch for High shelf I get a lot of hiss and oscillation... The IC are properly bypassed. I ran some simulations in LTspice and everything looks fine.

Any hint on what could be the cause?

Thanks for your help

schema.png

I´m too lazy to search for the original schematic. But what I see is that your 5534 lacks the compensation cap. And IIRC R35 was much lower in later revisions of the 250.

jensenmann said:
I´m too lazy to search for the original schematic. But what I see is that your 5534 lacks the compensation cap. And IIRC R35 was much lower in later revisions of the 250.
Thanks jensenmann

Here's a link to the original schematic:

http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/Sontec_MEP250a.GIF

I'll test with a 22pf compensation cap tonight. Also I will try with the Bias circuit disconnected to see if it changes anything.

SW-pin3 connects to the other side of R31 (only one half of the dual rev-log pot is shorted out, the 3k3 R31 remains in circuit) ...

Harpo said:
SW-pin3 connects to the other side of R31 (only one half of the dual rev-log pot is shorted out, the 3k3 R31 remains in circuit) ...

Thanks Harpo! That was it

I must have checked the schematic a 100 times and never saw the mistake  ::)

Quick question...

Should I add the compensation cap to the filter's 5534 ? The original doesn't use it... I know it's essential to run stable at unity gain... but in this particular eq circuit?

Thanks

IIRC additional compensation cap between pins 5/8 for the NE5534 shouldn't be needed.
You are aware, the boost/cut pot is missing the center tap connection ? (pot is at least a 4-pin device)

Harpo said:
IIRC additional compensation cap between pins 5/8 for the NE5534 shouldn't be needed.
You are aware, the boost/cut pot is missing the center tap connection ? (pot is at least a 4-pin device)

Thanks Harpo

Yes the Center tap is connected to ground. It was pretty hard to find the pots... luckily found some Bourns that works really well!

Latest posts

Back