Otari MTR90 Tape lifters...nothing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpre

Hi,

I have a mkII mtr90 that I have been restoring.

So far so good;
-power supply fixed
-capstan replaced
-MDA's fixed and fused (240v 5 A )
-Tape Path shimmed and running smooth
- Mechanical line up complete , except steps requiring tension measurements

Machine runs smooth at 15 and 30 ips..although I had to back off the Fast Gain to get FFW to stop blowing the Capstan fuse.

2 problems remain...

-The first is the tape lifters do not function.... I have checked the connections and compared diode and resistance measurement across the solenoid with ffd/rrd solenoids, similar ballpark results...where to from here...where is the voltage to run solenoid derived?

-Second problem is the Remote Control dosn't read IPS in IPS mode it just has 0000000 al the time, in play rrd ffd, 15ips 30 ips etc. And Variable and the pot to change speed do nothing and display remains 0000000....ideas?

Thanks for reading.

Hi Stuart,

- The solenoid tape lifter is drive by +24V, the command is transistor Q7 on tape transport control board. (Pin A27)
Connector CN23, Pins 1&2 (Pin 1 = command, Pin 2 = +24V)
- You must check also the damper, it's glass cylinder, may it's broken ?

- The problem on remote control means that you don't have ... Clock Reference, or tape counter pulse ...
Please check carefully pins on each DB ;-) It's most root cause about this problem.

Cheers,
Pascal

Thanks Pascal, I found the lifter problem....they were too tight, so I was able to loosen them, all good.

Now I just need to fix the remote speed/clock...

Can you email me a schematic for the remote control? I have previously tested this remote on another machine and the problem was different....the display showed a speed slightly slower than it should have been....for example...29.97 ips i couldn't get the varispeed to correct this.

But now as I said, it is all just 00000000's.

The clock on the machine is working fine.

Latest posts

Back