Dual gang pot to Single gang - Better in serie or parallel ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

Hi everyone,

this might sound like a noob question  ;)

Let's say I need a 100k pot (in a variable resistor config) and can't find this value in the type of pot needed. Should I:

1- Use a 200k pot with 2 gang in parallel
2- Use a 50k pot with 2 gang in series

Is there any difference? Which one will be more precise?

Thanks

elskardio said:
...I need a 100k pot...
...is missing a lot of info needed , IE what taper (lin, log, rev.log, S-taper, ..., %value at 50% rotation, ...), total rotation angle (electrical and/or mechanical), next to outer dimensions, shaft diameter and type, pin spacing, ...

1- Use a 200k pot with 2 gang in parallel
2- Use a 50k pot with 2 gang in series

Is there any difference? Which one will be more precise?
With a perfect pot (there is no such thing), wired as rheostat and ignoring parts rating, both will be the same on paper. In real life and depending on circuit, a series connected 2gang rheostat has a doubled up chance of losing a wiper connection one day.
I am not aware of a method of hooking up two series connected gangs (2) mimicking a single pot and keeping the total value, so this will differ from (1). Besides higher cost and larger outer dimensions, a dual gang 200K pot will be even harder to get than a same type and taper 100K pot.

Harpo said:
...is missing a lot of info needed , IE what taper (lin, log, rev.log, S-taper, ..., %value at 50% rotation, ...), total rotation angle (electrical and/or mechanical), next to outer dimensions, shaft diameter and type, pin spacing, ...
With a perfect pot (there is no such thing), wired as rheostat and ignoring parts rating, both will be the same on paper. In real life and depending on circuit, a series connected 2gang rheostat has a doubled up chance of losing a wiper connection one day.
I am not aware of a method of hooking up two series connected gangs (2) mimicking a single pot and keeping the total value, so this will differ from (1). Besides higher cost and larger outer dimensions, a dual gang 200K pot will be even harder to get than a same type and taper 100K pot.

Hi Harpo,
I'm looking at my options for a small size dual gang rev. log 100k pot. I already found a few candidates but one in particular is a 4 gang 200k. The pot is wired as a rheostat in the circuit. So I was wondering if there were any down side of wiring  the 4 gangs in pair of 2 in parallel to get my dual 100k.
Thanks

Should operate the same on paper. Operating torque of 4 gangs might be higher than of 2 gangs, if this matters to you.

Back