Electrovoice RE 20 repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Hello,
i have a RE 20 that has very low output, no distortion or rattle but it sounds like the capsule is probably damaged.
EV doesn't sell capsules they say to send the mic in for repair, is MicDaddy still in business i sent an email a while back but didn't get an answer. Are there any other options ?

If you're sure the capsule is the problem, low output usually means the voice coil is sticking.
On some mics it's possible to nudge it and get the output back (i.e. D12). Take it apart, remove the capsule, lift the diaphragm, put it back.  On old RE-20 /PL-20 the diaphragm is much harder to lift off (I posted about this somewhere) so it depends on the era how possible it will be.

Also foam crumbles that surrounds the mic and will restrict movement.  Did you take it apart and clean it up?

Also, if the frequency response is right (good low end), I would be less inclined to mess with capsule.
how low is the output relative to a healthy re20?

Thanks guys the mic is from 2002 the foam is ok, i took it apart when the capsule is hooked up directly to a mic pre the level is the same as when it is hooked up with the transformer. The level is 10 to 15 db too quiet

Latest posts

Back