Grundig GDSM 200

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andow

To all the vintage microphone heads:
I recently acquired a Grundig GDSM 200 and unfortunately one microphone doesn't work at all and the other one sounds kind of dull.
Since these are known to have an issue with the foam that holds the capsule getting porous, does anybody know how I can open the basket so I can access the capsule? There doesn't seem to be any screws on it at all...

Also which kind of foam would be the one for replacing the old one (if this is possible at all), I have the same problem with my Sennheiser MD408.

Thanks!

I did that in the past, was trying to remember how did I open it.

There's those Grundig stickers, check if there's a screw underneath the stickers, I remember something like that.

No sticker here unfortunately! Just this plastic ring that holds the microphone in the mount. I don't know if I can get that off without destroying it... :(

Sorry I was thinking about the GDSM 202 and not the 200

gdsm200_1102496.jpg

On the 202 maybe the 2 grilles are glued to the metal ring. Try applying some heat (Air Gun, or hair dryer) to the metal ring and see if you can free any part of the grilles.
Be gentle and careful. Thats a great Microphone

For everyone interested: I managed to open one GDSM 200 and it seems like the only way to do so is by brute force...  :'(
The grilles are glues to the metal ring and don't come off too easily.

Now I'm still unsure which foam to use to replace the old one....

andow said:
For everyone interested: I managed to open one GDSM 200 and it seems like the only way to do so is by brute force...  :'(
The grilles are glues to the metal ring and don't come off too easily.

Now I'm still unsure which foam to use to replace the old one....

Nice you were able to open it.

Ask for the foam  to member ln76d, he's a mic expert.

Whoops said:
Sorry I was thinking about the GDSM 202 and not the 200

On the 202 maybe the 2 grilles are glued to the metal ring. Try applying some heat (Air Gun, or hair dryer) to the metal ring and see if you can free any part of the grilles.
Be gentle and careful. Thats a great Microphone

Hey Tiago, thanks for mentioning me ;)
In gdsm202 you need to bend grill from the top or the bottom, there's no glue ;)
In gdsm200 just remove one side of grill with screwdriver.
I found other application for grilles from gdsm200/mds1 :D

Nice!  8)

While this thread is up again: has anybody ever placed these capsules in another housing? I'd really like to try this as I'm sure this would affect the sound but haven't found anything usable...

Are the elements in the GDSM 202 the same as the GDSM 200?

If I remember correctly the GDSM 200 uses the same capsule as the Sennheiser MD409, there's info on the web about it if you google it

The GDSM 202 I think uses a smaller capsule, but I never opened one so maybe someone can chime in, but I don't think it's the same capsule as the 200

Latest posts

Back