Dale Manquen....RIP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

This came in tonight via the Neotek list:

Just wanted to pass on the sad news that one of the towering figures in our industry died Sunday. If you purchased P&G faders for your Neotek, chances are they came from Dale Manquen. If you have used any analog tape medium for recording, the achievements of Dale were instrumental in the advance of that technology. I have no further info now, but we should all say a short "Thank you, God Speed and RIP to Dale".

I can talk more about Dale, since he was a friend of mine....

Bri

Hi Brian,

As a 3M owner, Dale provided me (and other 3M owners, I'm sure) with a LOT of info over the years (via email) that I will always cherish. It's not every day you get the chance to talk with/ask questions of the person who basically designed your tape machine (M56)...

What a brilliant man and a fine example of a human being!

Rest in peace, Dale.

Chris

Very sad to see this.
I remember having a few lengthy phone conversations with him. He was very knowledgeable and generous with his time.
Best wishes to his surviving family and friends...

Was fortunate to speak with Dale a few weeks ago. What a nice, knowledgeble guy. Always enjoyed our conversations. I didn't know he was sick.

This a a really nice description of Dale's accomplishments in our industry http://www.manquen.net/audio/index.php?page=9

I've been in shock from the moment I saw this thread this morning. Dale was a great down to earth guy and all that others here have said . I deeply feel the loss and  I'm sure very many do. I've been thinking about him all day. -night  I have to admit I'm at a loss for words to type right now but I will try tomorrow.

RIP  Dale

I had the good fortune to first meet Dale in 2005 when I bought an incomplete stereo EMT140 plate reverb from him. This was a reconstruction job mostly executed by Dale and my part was to complete it back home by his directions.  I picked the EMT up summer 2005.  Dale and his then lady friend Chris took me to dinner. Dale put me up for the night.  He was very easy to like.

The next reconstruction job we did was my M56 16 track which was also incomplete when I bought it at the end of 2005. This work was all done by me with his directing me over the phone. Many an hour plus phone call was made and in the end I learned a ton and the deck sounds awesome.  Dale was such a great teacher and so patient.

Dale came up to visit us in August of 2008. Rode the day liner train up Vancouver Island to Parksville, went for a 2 hour hike and then we had beers and dinner. A fun visit.  I drove him  down Island to Victoria and we detoured to check out a few train engines along the way . He loved trains.  In Victoria we had lunch at fisher mans wharf then he boarded his ferry to the States.

We almost got him up here again in August but I had to cancel over having too much on my plate. Since then I'd been hoping a visit would happen for sure this year.  I feel so lucky to have known Dale and will be thinking of him fondly often.

Latest posts

Back