SSL 4K G-Series Mic Preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ricardus said:
That's the regular gain pot isn't it?

The PDFs you sent that had example panels had 2 pots for both channels. What is the 2nd pot?

See attached pic. (can't upload pics!)

There is a gain switch. The other acts as an output fader. If you're looking at the original schematic this is denoted by MOL 1-5. The schematic for the switch itself is on another page. Which can be found in tech docs subforum.

Gain Switch Wiring

HTgSWNF.png

I saw the docs for the gain switch but it seems a little vague and unclear. For example there is nothing in the BOM for the switch or resistors as far as parts go. And there is a PDF called OFF BOARD CONNECTIONS or something and there is nothing about it in the PDF. And there are no contact points on the PCB PDF for those connections. Are you just soldering those points willy nilly to the board?

Has anyone here built this and can send me some photos?

Ricardus said:
Well, I am confused.  :)

Do you have the build guide that Dustbro made for the boards? There is a 4 pin connection point for the gain switch PCB right next to C5. It's named Conn1.

-Casey

Ricardus said:
OK. I am officially an idiot. I looked at that PCB PDF a thousand times and didn't see that. Someone shoot me.

You need to relax...
And see all the docs calmly, because the info is there.

Ricardus said:
For example there is nothing in the BOM for the switch or resistors as far as parts go.

Yes there is. There's a BOM for all the parts in the Gain switch board.

Ricardus said:
And there are no contact points on the PCB PDF for those connections.

Yes there are and there's clear diagrams in the documentation

OK, I see why I was confused here. I've been staring at every drawing except the build guide, which clears things up for me. I thought I was supposed to buy a solder lug grayhill switch and build the stepped switch by hand.

Plus I have two separate PDFs that are BOMs for the PSU, and the Preamp, and they're incomplete. The BOM in the build guide also includes the parts for the gain switch board, which the separate PDFs do not.

Phew.

Hey i also think it's confusing since there are two resistors connected to nothing. In my opinion they have to do something. And I also found out that SSL is known for leaving gaps and not fully right documented pot wiring etc. often their wiring is wrong and don't work as supposed. Just to keep that in mind. I  have a procedure with using different jumpers to connect it on my prototypes and later i will remove these jumpers. i ordered my prototype board for my 500 version of G channel already. so that will clear everything up in a week or so.

No it's R26 and R27. They are connected to a cable shield. But a connection to nothing else. So they are not connected. To keep that in mind. That's really unclear what they do. Copy and paste is not possible with ssl stuff.

Kevin said:
I  have a procedure with using different jumpers to connect it on my prototypes and later i will remove these jumpers. i ordered my prototype board for my 500 version of G channel already. so that will clear everything up in a week or so.

Looking forward to what you find out. Even Dustbro's schematic shows different wiring for the Gain switch.

-Casey

Kevin said:
No it's R26 and R27. They are connected to a cable shield. But a connection to nothing else. So they are not connected. To keep that in mind. That's really unclear what they do. Copy and paste is not possible with ssl stuff.

Yes you are right R26 and R27 are connected to Molex1 Pin1 and Pin5 that are just shields not connected on the Gain Switch end.

I checked the SSL schematics revision notes to see if there was any mention of it but the only thing I found was this:
Rev 0, issue B, 07 SEPT 87
"R26 and R27 were 180R now 649R"

Ok there were way more issues with this circuit. The original schematic and circuits tends to oscillate at 50khz. and is way more noisy then everything i had before.  I fixed this oscillation issue with adding some caps in the Gain area. Also the working point of the dual Transistor needed some improvement ;) That should compensate the oscillation problem. Also improved the input of the circuit a little against HF Problems. Now it should run smoothly. As always SSL is not just copy and Paste ;) i will share my changes in my documentation later on in my 4KG91 Build Guide.

Kevin said:
Ok there were way more issues with this circuit. The original schematic and circuits tends to oscillate at 50khz. and is way more noisy then everything i had before.  I fixed this oscillation issue with adding some caps in the Gain area. Also the working point of the dual Transistor needed some improvement ;) That should compensate the oscillation problem. Also improved the input of the circuit a little against HF Problems. Now it should run smoothly. As always SSL is not just copy and Paste ;) i will share my changes in my documentation later on in my 4KG91 Build Guide.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing what you've found.

Casey

Latest posts

Back