Help me build the world's most basic control surface.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che_Guitarra

Hi guys.  I'm wanting to build the world's most basic DAW controller - a single rotary knob that, in conjunction with a mouse, will allow me to increase or decrease a parameter value.

For example - I want to use a 1176 style plugin in ProTools.  Rather than using a mouse (alone) to tweak a parameter value (input (output, ratio, attack, etc), I want to click the adjustable parameter with the mouse, then use a rotary knob controller to make the desired value adjustment.  Why?  I have no need for a large control surface (i'm more than happy using a keyboard and mouse), but I would like a tactile rotary controller for tweaking plugins. 

Perhaps this product already exists.  If so, can somebody throw me a link.  If this product doesn't exist - how hard a build project would this be?

OK, so i'm no electronic engineer (if it's not obvious), but I figure I should be be able to modify an old school mouse circuit (non-laser) to suit.  As per pic below.

open2.jpg

I don't need the mouse buttons, and I figure I only need a Y-axis controller to get the functionality I seek.  Or maybe I could put X/Y axis control on a DPDT switch (if the function requires X or Y input specifically).  Hmmm.

Does that sound accurate?

If anyone could help me here i'd be most appreciative.

Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum - I really don't know where this topic is best addressed.

You're biggest problem is on the DAW side. Most of them don't give access to all parameters with custom controllers.

Pro tools is certainly the worst of all. (they want to sell D-command, S6, artist series...)

You could try to buy a small DAW controller like Presonus faderport or behringer BCF 2000. quite affordable, and they might give you that ability. At least they can do that kind of thing in Cubendo, but since i don't have pro tools, i can't be sure it would do the same.

Thomas

I'm going to give this a shot.  If I plug an old mouse in I can indeed use my trackpad for 'clicking' and the old mouse for axis control.

I'll mock up something this weekend.  If it works - great!  If it doesn't - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

There is this, but it's not cheap at 174 Euros:

http://www.nobcontrol.com/

It wouldn't be too difficult to make something similar using an Arduino or the like.

Che_Guitarra said:
Hi guys.  I'm wanting to build the world's most basic DAW controller - a single rotary knob that, in conjunction with a mouse, will allow me to increase or decrease a parameter value.

Perhaps this product already exists.  If so, can somebody throw me a link.  If this product doesn't exist - how hard a build project would this be?

It already exists: Griffin Power Mate.

Now, the problem: it basically emulates keystrokes, so if there is a keystroke associated with parameter increment and decrement, then it's a simple matter of using their software to do the mapping.

On that note, since I have one of these things, I should try it with Logic tonight.

yeah, that is very clever.

So the idea is that you hold your normal mouse button down on a virtual control and then spin your device to make the adjustments etc.?

Hey che
I had a similar obsession (well maybe a tad more complex) and through my research found a teensy 2.0 or 3.2 can do all u ever wanted and much much more. Its usb compliant (and this can also be some of your power depending on what you building) and there's a good deal of infor and pre written code on the web u can download e.g. github. You can do anything from make a generic motorized fader with recall to making a 8 channel fader controller with buttons and bells and whistles. All with a single teensy and an add on extender. Its similar to arduino but is usb compliant and can also use the arduino library if u need it to. I have put it on the back burner as in the end i needed a control surface for work but I'm still building mini controllers albeit flying by the seat of my pants since i know nothing about code. At any rate its worth investigating.

Hi Che,
the picture you posted is not available any more.

Is it possible you could give more detailed info on how you achieved that.

I would like to do one for myself, like you I also have a need for it while mixing.
I'm sure a lot of people will find it useful also

thank you so much

I have a working prototype of this using an arduino leonardo that'll talk USB Midi and DIN5 Midi.
Right now, I'm working on it driving a remote mic pre through midi, but you can use the hardware and it'll send messages to the DAW too.

/R

Rochey said:
I have a working prototype of this using an arduino leonardo that'll talk USB Midi and DIN5 Midi.
Right now, I'm working on it driving a remote mic pre through midi, but you can use the hardware and it'll send messages to the DAW too.

/R

Hi Rochey, thats great, and I'm sure it has a lot of nice capabilities.

But just for turning 1 knob Che did it with just a cheap old mouse, the cost is zero

I've tried making one with Arduino

Here's the troubleshooting thread in the forums.

EDIT : Novation Nocturn 25 has a feature called Speed Dial which basically allows you to control a parameter when you put the mouse cursor over the desired knob/fader in a program.

Also the tabletop Audient USB intefaces which come with the big knob have this feature. I think it just enumerates as USB mouse and sends the scroll wheel data as output.

Just came across this thread having been a lurker here for a very long time (though was interviewed by Peterson several years ago for one of his early podcast on open-source hardware!)

Having a simple, extensible, open, and DIY-friendly control surface has been a desire of mine for a long time.  So I decided to do something about it.  You can read (much) more about it on the link below--if there's interest on this forum as well, I'm happy to share more info--specs, diagrams, progress, etc.

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7502789

Happy DIYing!
Allison

Latest posts

Back