Connector quality, audio not construction

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptownkid

I understand why one would buy a metal bodied XLR connector based on longevity, but what are the diferences between a neutrk connector and some no nmae brand.

They both have metal bodies and both are nickel plated, so what difference is there between the two.

I can get neutrk connectors for about $5 canadian a piece (plate mount) but i found ones for just shy of a dollar. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth five times the price.

im in the same boat.

i have no idea, but its hard to find the cheap ones with the square latches on top that lock in the xlr, and also colored jacks. but those are just physical advantages to the neutrik ones.

Also, anyone have experience with the plastic Neutriks?

Asm - try this guy, super cheap

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23783&item=7309273501&rd=1

I bought a set of these and have had no problems...

I don't think you've really stated the question clearly enough. Are you asking if they "sound" different? If one is more rugged than the other?

Anyway, what I've found is that no-name connectors don't take solder well, the plastic insulating parts melt easily, and the connectors fall apart in use. Switchcraft, Neutrik and other good "brand name" connectors solder easily, don't melt and don't fall apart unless abused very badly. So for me, the choice is obvious.

I use only Neutrik, nothing else. Although the cost is high it is a very good long term investment.

chrissugar

Well. I know that metal is more rugged than plastic, that's a given, but is there a difference in sound quality?

Like I said, 5 times the price is not worth it if it's just a matter of longevity. I have used a bunch of the cheap metal bodied one and have had no problems with the soldering or durability at all, so I'm inclined to use those.

It's like this, a mastercraft skil and a dewalt skil cut wood exactly the same, if I can buy 5 mastercraft for the price of one dewalt, I'm pretty sure the 5 mastercrafts are gonna outlast the 1 dewalt.

So, the 2 questions are

Is there a difference is sound quality, and does anyone have any experience with the plastic Neutriks...

thats one of the things, the connectors not mating well, it is your audio connection after all. If you are putting it in your rack and never moving it however, you can probably cheap out. I only use neutrik stuff, I have had neutrik cable connectors in the field which got so abused that I replaced them because the collar on the male plug had been ground down close to the pins from being dropped on the ground every time my boom op disconnected it. The cable worked flawlessly. Thats saying alot. I dont think a switchcraft with the mountting screw would have stood for that level of abuse. Its really a question of durability with those things. If you buy cheap panel mount connectors, buy the same cheap cable mounts so you'll have a better chance of them mating well.

dave

Use quality connectors.

Cheap connectors are nasty.

Neutriks mate with Switchcrafts, Switchcrafts mate with Neutriks. Crapola mates with crapola, and that's about it.

Sound quality is about reliability, and if you can't fit one connector to another (which is common with cheap connectors- the tolerance of the fit can be way out) then that's worse than useless. Most studio and stage/broadcast work is about speed, felxibility and reliability. Having weak links in the chain is asking for trouble!

I've also experienced the solder problems- the solder used to tin the tags can be pretty poor.

All hail the quality connector.

:thumb:

Mark

The major drawback on the conns that don't fit well: They get stuck! I've thought I was gonna break good pieces of equipment getting those cheap sucka's out. I don't like that feeling.

If you do get caught in that situation, slowly wiggle the connector back and forth and it almost always comes out cleanly if you are patient...almost always...

HTH!
Charlie

IMHO I think Neutrik has a superior clamping system for the cable end XLRs. The collet type clamp grips the cable jacket well wheras the Switchcraft tends to slip after time on some types of cable. Alcatel made some pretty good connectors too, but I haven't run across them lately.

Yeah, I'm going Neutrik, I just registered a business so i could buy them at wholesale prices, so now I don't mind the price so much.

Might start an online store, I'll let you all know soon...

[quote author="chrissugar"]"Yeah, I'm going Neutrik..."

Clever decission. You will not regret it.[/quote]

While I wholeheartedly agree with everybody regarding the quality of Neutrik stuff (the only thing I'll ever use for XLRs and 1/4" jacks), I think it is an invaluable learning experience to buy some cheapo connectors, try them out, and see for yourself why everybody likes the Neutrik's so much.

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"]I think it is an invaluable learning experience to buy some cheapo connectors, try them out, and see for yourself why everybody likes the Neutrik's so much.[/quote]

Ha!

"Pain is gain" as my old PT teacher used to say!

:green:

Mark

"While I wholeheartedly agree with everybody regarding the quality of Neutrik stuff (the only thing I'll ever use for XLRs and 1/4" jacks), I think it is an invaluable learning experience to buy some cheapo connectors, try them out, and see for yourself why everybody likes the Neutrik's so much."

Al is absolutely right, only if you compare them you start to understand the difference.
I think the best example is the Neutrik Profi RCA connectors. Before them I used tons of different types and I always thought RCA is a pain because they are hard to solder, they break and most of the times the soldering holds the cable mechanically to the connector. Not with the Neutrik Profi RCA.
http://www.neutrik.com/content/Products/products_group.asp?level2id=204_39021
This connector has the same clever cable holding system like the Jack and XLR type connectors. I bought lots of them since 1998 and I think I will never buy anything else.

chrissugar

The only problem with those Neutrik RCA connectors is the barrel diameter. I have found some equipment where the jacks are too closely spaced to allow those connectors to plug in side by side. Neutrik makes a cheaper, smaller connector that I like for these applications.

See it here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=092-110

Latest posts

Back