Question about some resistors on fabio 312 bom

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptownkid

I know that 1k5 means 1.5 k resistor

what does 4k12, 2k68, 1k75 mean? It can't mean 2.68k, unless that's some wierd value that I've never seen before.

Thanks

Is there anyone who check each resistor and choose the closest value?
Or am I weird, audiophile influenced and it?s useless? (I buy 100 resistors per value to get the closest).

By the way, is there a big precision difference between a Fluke and a cheap multimeter? (Yes i?m really weird: I check my resistors with a cheap multimeter :green: )

> check each resistor and choose the closest value?

Closest to what?

The number the designer wrote on the plan? Sometimes it does NOT matter: I was just studying a design where one resistor could be 5K or 33K, no difference. Sometimes the designer is wrong: I put 300Ω resistors when 3K was a better value. Not to mention the many White Cathode Followers with erroneously big plate resistors: many smart guys overlooked this because "it seems reasonable".

Sometimes you need a match, exact value not too important. Phantom resistors of 6K20 and 6K15 will work just as well as "6K8 1%".

Remember that a lot of classic and good-sounding gear was made with 10% and even 20% resistors, unselected.

Remember that tube parameters vary +/-30%, transistors often +/-50%.

... i've been testing all resistors and matching exact values. But what do i know.
Definitely not as much as PRR. (who does?)
You have to determine where the exact values are important.
Even then... might be surprised what you can get away with, like i was.

Kev left this link on API thread yesterday, written by Mark Burnley:
http://www.diyfactory.com/data/mbresistors.htm

I matched components on pairs of pre channels to more easily distinguish differences between opamps and trafos. Why not? my first project, i figured anything hands-on would be good while waiting for other parts. Didn't take long. If they're on tape, it's easy to test them like that, and write exact values next to them. Easy for transistors too.
BTW if you get 1% tolerance resistors, you don't need to buy or test as many.
My (limited) experience so far with 1% Rs: at least 3 matched pairs per 10 resistors. Some values were equal x 10, at least to DMM accuracy.
But this probably also depends on brand, luck, etc.
hope it helps, Paul

Back