500 series 8 space frames

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

why is their a lack of 8 space frames for the API 500 series modules? I see many companies willing to do 6 slot and 10 slot, but 8  is not as common. What I find interesting is 8 seems to make the most sense to me as you would have a dsub  for in and dsub and for out.  would work perfectly with the common connector to go in and out of  converters for most daw's, Dsub.

I've wondered this too, and mentioned it before. With everything going dsub it seems a logical step.

Maybe putting 8 in a rack seems a waste of space?

john12ax7 said:
I've wondered this too, and mentioned it before. With everything going dsub it seems a logical step.

Maybe putting 8 in a rack seems a waste of space?

And putting 6 is not?

Maybe a D-sub for one of those 10 channels ones and the extra 2 channels with conventional IO config for other misc stuff in the studio. Mic preamps goes directly to the DAW, The extra 2 slots you put a pair of toys for the mix down...

JS

pucho812 said:
sub for 8 and 2 X xlr is common  as well.  but a lack of 8 spaces on the market.
Then is just matter of 2 blank faces and you have what you are looking for, isn't it?
perhaps have an 8 slot rack with a/d/a on it as well.... hmmmmm
  Are you talking about USB 500 series? A/D/A to use a mic pre, go to the DAW and have 8 outputs or D/A/D so you use them as plugins from the DAW and use as ASP (analog signal processors)

JS

Years ago I did a backplane for 8 Slots and D-Sub only.
My idea was to use my standard 11 Slot Hardware, and a different Backplane and Backpanel only, to keep cost and different parts to stock low.
However, market interest was nearly zero.

I guess it is the same with 8 Slots and converters, we have seen a few teasers but as far as I know no release.

From a quick google search:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emanateaudio/cerberus-500-series-analog-and-digital-chassis-wit
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/1057269-namm-2016-500-series-rack-analog-digital-io-aes-adat-xlr-db25.html?highlight=500+series+rack+adat

From  a cost point of view it does not make any sense unfortunately. In fact it is costlier because you now have 2 set-up costs (one for 8 slot rack and another for the rack mount extender) plus you have another inventory sitting on the shelf.

If you are going to use an 8 slot as desktop you can also use an 11 slot as desktop. If you do not need the remaining 3 slots then blank them off. You can also fit an on-board psu f you wanted to.

On our racks  we have  the 3rd SubD25 for slot 1-10. Slot 11 is not connected as it is an odd number.

I see what your saying from a cost point of view but why do two separate frames for the 8 and 11 slots... One frame to rule them all I say.  I am sure there is a way to make it work and fairly easily too...  ;)

I would like to see an 8 channel bucket like the capi with the dsubs built in.  And removable rack ears.  So then you could either rackmount or use as part of an expandable modular mixer.  Think fix audio has something similar, but it's only for the mixer, no rack option.

My mixer prototype case will be my new 8 slot 500 series rack.. As much as I'd like to see dsub25 and adat i have the hunk of metal shot full of holes that are already xlr and 1/4 inch.  I think one could build an 8 slot with built in psu if they were clever (thick steel between the psu and modules) but id love to see an adat capable rack. I think aphex has a six slot that can go through usb but adat makes most sense for pro use.
I very briefly explored daw io funtionality via the rack.  A Small transport section that arms/solos/mutes each of the modules plus 44/48/96k button selection could definitely fit in the exrtra space . Maybe a play/pause/record. I personally like both dsub and 1/4".  That way i can directly interface it with my patchbay.  A 4.3" touch tft screen that works as a io navigator sample rate selector plus vu meter/scope/analyzer would be pretty fancy fun too and definitely doable. (Hey why not?). 
For now i'll build a basic 8 slot capi rack with an external psu. I plan on making it more versatile. I really like sahibs insert connection options on his 500 series racks.  It's clever and versatile.

Not sure if you guys have seen this but API released this one not too long ago - https://www.apiaudio.com/product.php?id=137

This is the wrong place to be suggesting an off-the-shelf solution but it is at a decent price point imo - especially from the company that launched the format in the first place.  The dsub connections allow API to save some cost and allow for convenient connections to an external A/D. 

Good point.    At least it has a small foot print? 

I know switching power supplies get a bad rap but a well designed one can do a good job...  I would imagine API wouldn't put something out that is awful. 

Latest posts

Back