Profile 4804 Color Coding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikoKensington

I'm finally assembling my JLM99V pre's. I'm using 4804/2503's on the outputs, but I'm unclear on the color coding. I searched through the archives but came up empty handed.

For those that have built the JLM pre in this configuration, do you recommend 1:1 or 1:2 at the output?

I have mine 1:1-

input yellow/brown

tie orange/red
blue/purple

output grey/green

make sure to put down some garbage bags on the floor the first time you listen, makes cleaning the bits of skull and brain the fly out the back of your head much easier. what did you use for an input transformer?

dave

I opted for Joe's input transformer. Can't beat the price and it sure is nice when all the parts show up at once. :thumb:

Thanks for the info Dave.

wow, Ive been really interested in hearing what that transformer sounds like. I think Im going to get one next time I order from joe. Im building another pair now with some old jensens I had laying around, did the first pair with 1578's.

dave

[quote author="asm"]i've only heard soundguy talking about his JLM99's, havent really heard anyone else build them.[/quote]

I have
but you guys already know I'm biased so I try to stay out of the way and do my shameless plugs at different times.

web pages are coming but it all takes time
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/JLM99x/jlm99x.htm
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/jlmsimpledi/jlmsimpledi.htm
all pages are a work in progress and are probably riddled with errors

Hey soundguy, what are you using as input transformer? Also, let us know the rest of the options you are using, like cap or servo or direct coupling to the transformer, PSU voltage, etc...

I would really like to know more about your box.

[quote author="soundguy"]make sure to put down some garbage bags on the floor the first time you listen, makes cleaning the bits of skull and brain the fly out the back of your head much easier. [/quote]

:green:

Supercool!!

[quote author="kev"]web pages are coming but it all takes time
[/quote]

Looking great Kev! I think I owe you some stuff soon- let me see what I've got here.

:thumb:

Mark

[quote author="MikoKensington"]Just to be sure... Dave when you say tie, do you mean solder? Or do you mean just pull aside and tie. :green:[/quote]

yes solder.

dave

Joe Malone's input transformers sound very good to my ears! Best bang for the buck that I've come across. My application is mic pre, secondary loaded with a 10k pot. You can also wire two of them in series-parallel (1:2) and load the secondary with 5k for a N E V E mic pre. It gets closer to a 10468 than the Sowter 9002 and still costs less. Joe must be a real gentleman because I haven't seen him advertise this anywhere, not even here. See that red line?

Everything I know about Joe just points to the guy just KNOWING.

I cant advocate these things enough. And just to put it out there, Im paying the same price for these as everyone else, I dont have any kind of sponsorship or any reason to talk this stuff up beyond how impressed I am with his products. Someday JLM will not be our little secret here...

That 99v opamp is the most insane sounding thing out there, I have never been so happy with a piece of gear that just worked so well on every single last thing... silly.

dave

Latest posts

Back