• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Valves

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untune

Hi all

Starting to properly test the preamp I've built but the valves I have don't seem to be in the best condition. I'm hoping to start rolling a few to see what kind of effect it has on things like noise levels and hum etc,so I can identify the source of some of the noise I'm hearing.

Valves in this design are 6AU6/EF94, 6BQ5/EL84 and 6X4/EZ90. I have a handful of 6AU6 but all seem to be quite microphonic, and I'm interested in getting more of these (tested if possible) to try different ones in different positions. I'm also keen to track down some of the premium versions, or to find out which ones work well in the tube mics that utilise them.

The EL84 I have seems to be a bit microphonic, and the only alternative one I have is incredibly noisy. The NOS ones also seem to be stupidly expensive and I'm not too keen on spending so much when it might be pointless!

I've ordered a NOS 6X4 rectifier but would also like to try a few more to see if there's any discernible difference in sound or noise.

If anyone has any of the above (preferably in the UK) please get in touch

Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back