capsule mount rubber smell

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I have two capsule mounts that smell bad. 
If you search "made in china rubber smell" you can read about this smell and what people guess could be the cause(s) and things to try to get rid of the smell.
I tried ultrasonic cleaning in a heated simple green and water solution did not help. There was some dirt in the metal container that I used in the bath so not to contaminate the ultrasonic cleaner tub.
I tried ultrasonic cleaning with heated Vinegar did not help.
I tried ultrasonic cleaning with heated degassed water after the above did not help.

Before I throw them out does anyone have suggestions? I don't know what the rubber is outgassing and what it might do to microphone capsules

I've smelt it on the really cheap mounts. I'd keep the saddles,
and chuck the rest (they're worth less than the cleaning products)

the infamous china rubber stench..yuck. I wonder if before you get capsule damage, your singer will puke on the mic :))

I don't think it is possible to "clean" it, but maybe it is possible to seal it.  You can try several coats of shellac.  It is a harmless natural resin, solvent is alcohol.  It dries fast so you don't get any other nasty gas.  You can also dissolve it in pure acetone for a hyper fast drying. 

Hi Gus

Sugru is useful stuff and low odour once set. It is silicone based if I understand correctly.  I have used it to make small rubber parts for microphones as well as numerous other repairs.

http://sugru.com

Cheers
Stewart

zebra50 said:
Hi Gus

Sugru is useful stuff and low odour once set. It is silicone based if I understand correctly.  I have used it to make small rubber parts for microphones as well as numerous other repairs.

http://sugru.com

Cheers
Stewart

Or make your own - it is basically silicone caulk and corn starch.  Google DIY Sugru.

Back