damn, my DMM's fuse is $35.35 + tax :(

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has expensive fuses but cries when plugged on amps and the volts are selected  8)

I guess 98% of DMM fuses blows that way, 1.8% due to accidental shorting while measuring currents and 0.2% for over current measurement and other causes.

JS

joaquins said:
0.2% for over current measurement and other causes.

I'm part of the 0.2%!
Only time I've ever seen one blow was trying to measure the test current of a hipot tester.  "It's basically floating and the 1.5kV is all common mode, I'm sure the meter will be fine", I said...  not so much.  I guess that's one reason that they put a fuse there!

mattamatta said:
I'm part of the 0.2%!
Only time I've ever seen one blow was trying to measure the test current of a hipot tester.  "It's basically floating and the 1.5kV is all common mode, I'm sure the meter will be fine", I said...  not so much.  I guess that's one reason that they put a fuse there!
  Note that most DMM are usually rated for 1kV CM. You could look for the littlefuse FLU.44 they might be compatible. (sorry the ar. link) Good thing your DMM is still pretty useful in the meanwhile.
http://ar.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0FLU440M/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsZt0HrY5I79rQ2QD7SwGvM0q3hfdcFpls%3d

I did connect to mains plugged into current once, quite some time ago, I did knew better already but slipped, cheaper meter, cents for the fuse and lesson learned. Now I go around with a meter with proper fuses but with this feature avoids most distraction fuse blows.

JS

kambo said:
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=504-DMMB44-100

There are much cheaper alternatives. The one pictured below, also has the advantage of both an audio and visual alert when it clears.  ;D

Gene Pink said:
There are much cheaper alternatives. The one pictured below, also has the advantage of both an audio and visual alert when it clears.  ;D

damn, thats a bullet fuse  ;D ;D ;D

i have second DMM, same exact model, needs fuse too on mA(400mA), but
i will install 200mA rated fast blow fuse from tubedepot, instead $35 / 400mA...
10A socket measures mA pretty accurately... no idea, why even bothered buying that expensive fuse!

kambo said:
damn, thats a bullet fuse  ;D ;D ;D

i have second DMM, same exact model, needs fuse too on mA(400mA), but
i will install 200mA rated fast blow fuse from tubedepot, instead $35 / 400mA...
10A socket measures mA pretty accurately... no idea, why even bothered buying that expensive fuse!

Safety? Without it the CAT ratings it has means little at all, being able to blow a fuse without exploding is a good thing. Of course, if you use it on the bench or to measure occasional mains at the socket by all means use a cheaper fuse. I work on big industrial connections capable of 10s KA short circuits, it's a lot of energy to be released in my hand if I screw my chopsticking, expensive fuses account for that, and provide no flying glass across myself, cheap fuses doesn't. That's why special DMM fuses are expensive, but if you look at a 8.5 digits DMM it probably has very cheap fuses, as it's not to be used at high energy locations and it doesn't compromise the safety of the user, it just needs to protect the equipment.

JS

joaquins said:
I work on big industrial connections capable of 10s KA short circuits, it's a lot of energy to be released in my hand if I screw my chopsticking, expensive fuses account for that, and provide no flying glass across myself, cheap fuses doesn't. That's why special DMM fuses are expensive.

This.

Back