Amek big vs Midas pro5

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canarion

Hello, sorry that you do not know how to speak English, I hope that with the help of the translator you understand me. I would like to know the opinion of which mixer to choose for a professional studio, an Amek Big or an old Midas pro 5 live sound.
Please comment if you have had any experience with them
Thank you ;)

With a live board you will have to live with some compromised workflow. The Amek is an inline desk with all the necessary features for multitrack recording. In the end it´s you who has to decide which features are needed to make your life easier.
Besides features I´d look at the state of both desks. A desk which has not been maintained well might turn into a maintenance nightmare. It´s easy to invest >1k$ in parts only to bring a desk back to into a usable state. Have a closer look at the rare parts installed in the desk. If there´s unobtainium inside then stay away.

Thank you very much for your answer, I will keep you in mind.
I currently work with a D & R Triton and I do not think there is much difference in sound with the Amek, the components and topology of the two are very similar (except automation). The Midas pro5 with sowter 3306 transformers in the inputs of all their channels, their direct outputs and the final stages in the subgroups and master with good transformers, I think if there will be a sound difference. If the sound difference is appreciable and I would not mind if it were something more uncomfortable to work with. Others spoke very well of the Midas pro5 compared to large tables (Neve, MCI), but before getting myself to change all the wiring and finish restoring the mixer wanted to have other opinions.

Latest posts

Back