Moon by Simaudio i-1 one channel distortion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aniol1349

Hello fellows!

I'm having a problem repairing a Moon integrated amplifier, I have replaced both IC's just before the volume pot and one of them is getting a lot of distortion + no control over the volume.

The voltages on this op amp read 0.8 V on the audio pins and I have no idea where's that coming from. Nothing seems to be shorted, all the pins have conductivity to the places where they supposed to go.
I don't have schematics at hand but I can tell you that the signal enters part A of the op amp, goes out to the pot and comes back into part B of the op amp and then goes to the output devices.

I've no idea where the problem might be located other than the op-amp itself. Problem is it has been removed twice already and as it's a SMD op amp I'm a bit of reluctant to remove it again, and I want to make sure first that I haven't missed anything.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Hubert

Start with the power supply is it in working order?

from there if you have a second working channel, compare that to the channel with a fault, something has changed causing the fault it may be something simple like a failed capacitor or resistor, it may be a bit more complicated.

Back