BV8 style transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benqbasic

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since i built a 47 style microphone.
My plan was to test out the dual 408a circuit that IOAudio came out with a few years ago.
I have all the pieces of the puzzle sitting at home.
Beesneez k7, Phillips tubes, Equinox body, PSU.

The thing I don't have is a BV8 style transformer.

I have been looking at my options and it seems that there are a few choices.
The normal suspects:
AMI
CINEMAG
Haufe (Apparently available but i dont know where from.)
ioaudio (Not sure if it is still available)

Then there are a few I don't know much about:
Peluso BV8HR
FAB V8 6.5:1 (http://fabmicrophones.com/Transformers/transformers.html)
micandmod  (seem to have their own one now)

Has anybody had the chance to compared the AMI T47 with a BV8?
Has anybody used the FAB transformers yet?

Regards,
Ben

You can not go wrong with AMI or Cinemag products they are both really reputable and reliable. I like the AMI product.

FAB looks interesting but have no clue. IOAudio is great but yes it seems that Max has gone quiet.

Mic and Mod are well discredited in these post I will not waist my breath! Please do not use them!

Check my website for some good reading and some links!

Pip said:
You can not go wrong with AMI or Cinemag products they are both really reputable and reliable. I like the AMI product.

FAB looks interesting but have no clue. IOAudio is great but yes it seems that Max has gone quiet.

Mic and Mod are well discredited in these post I will not waist my breath! Please do not use them!

Check my website for some good reading and some links!

Cheers,

I know about the Mic and Mod controversy.  :eek: I was interested because i haven't seen that transformer before and usually they just rebrand someone elses product.
I may get the AMI BV8 but shipping and then tax puts it a little above what I would like to spend.

Just checked out your blog. I will have a proper read through it tonight.

I am interested in what you think of the phaedrus-audio VF-14M fet replacement. The price actually seems reasonable compared to what we normally see for VF14M replacements.

I have Haufe for sale if needed. FAB is under testing phase I have the serial number 1:) It is very promising,Chris is making me some variants with different alloy combinations which we can test against to the original.

I would like to add my 5887 transformer to the list but this transformer has been designed with the EF800/80 in mind, but not to say it won't work perfectly well with the other combinations or the U47 circuit. I have sold 10 but still await some comparisons to other transformers.
These also work very well in API-312 preamps.
I only have 2 left but I'm happy to let these go a bit cheaper if someone could guarantee testing them against several of the others.

TLRT said:
I have Haufe for sale if needed. FAB is under testing phase I have the serial number 1:) It is very promising,Chris is making me some variants with different alloy combinations which we can test against to the original.
Thanks for the info. I will PM you about the Haufe.

I will be interested to hear how the testing turns out. I looks like they are interested in doing a good job with 4 chamber bobbins and all.

Spencerleehorton said:
I would like to add my 5887 transformer to the list but this transformer has been designed with the EF800/80 in mind, but not to say it won't work perfectly well with the other combinations or the U47 circuit. I have sold 10 but still await some comparisons to other transformers.
These also work very well in API-312 preamps.
I only have 2 left but I'm happy to let these go a bit cheaper if someone could guarantee testing them against several of the others.

Nice work on your transformer. Hopefully you get some feedback about their performance. I will follow with your thread with interest.

i add Flea BV8 clone wich is , for me , the most accurate that i've heard (tested AMI, Cinemag,and of course original Haufe)
regards
Fred

granger.frederic said:
i add Flea BV8 clone wich is , for me , the most accurate that i've heard (tested AMI, Cinemag,and of course original Haufe)
regards
Fred

I think this is only important if you can use vf14 tubes, for other tubes this "accurateness" may be a disadvantage.

granger.frederic said:
regards
Fred

Cheers I did not know that Flea sold their BV8 by itself.
A few options to look at then. I wish i'd gotten Max's BV.08 while it was still available.

TLRT said:
I think this is only important if you can use vf14 tubes, for other tubes this "accurateness" may be a disadvantage.

i don't think so
unless if the purpose is not a re-creation of the original U47 sound

this has been debated to death but i wake up call is sometime useful
During all of my tests , i've put almost all known replacement tubes and , at the end, i came to the conclusion that the capsule and the body , especially the headbasket , are the major elements of the mic's sound 
for example: EF14 with h~5,5v and you have 80% of the VF14, which is 10 % of the mic sound...and it will be undistinguishable in a mix vs an VF14
My opinion is that if someone want a good U47 sounding mic , stop sourcing "S.T." capsules , buy a Neumann K49 , and a Flea Body, and no matter what you put inside (unless you don't respect the electronic and mechanical mic's principles) you will have 85% of the goal.
the last 15% are more difficult but with good components and knowledge , we can approach very close
Flea BV8 or AMi BV8 are very good contenders
i think that we have some options for the tube , contrary to conventional wisdom ...
Pick a triode or a pentode in triode mode, and if it's quiet , has around 8k output impedance, has low capacitances , and has low microphonic, then i would easily work with it

for what it worth ...

granger.frederic said:
i don't think so
unless if the purpose is not a re-creation of the original U47 sound

this has been debated to death but i wake up call is sometime useful
During all of my tests , i've put almost all known replacement tubes and , at the end, i came to the conclusion that the capsule and the body , especially the headbasket , are the major elements of the mic's sound 
for example: EF14 with h~5,5v and you have 80% of the VF14, which is 10 % of the mic sound...and it will be undistinguishable in a mix vs an VF14
My opinion is that if someone want a good U47 sounding mic , stop sourcing "S.T." capsules , buy a Neumann K49 , and a Flea Body, and no matter what you put inside (unless you don't respect the electronic and mechanical mic's principles) you will have 85% of the goal.
the last 15% are more difficult but with good components and knowledge , we can approach very close
Flea BV8 or AMi BV8 are very good contenders
i think that we have some options for the tube , contrary to conventional wisdom ...
Pick a triode or a pentode in triode mode, and if it's quiet , has around 8k output impedance, has low capacitances , and has low microphonic, then i would easily work with it

for what it worth ...

I as hoping you'd visit the mic section again, one of these days.
Could you also take a look here, please?
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=64945.0

Latest posts

Back