Transformer lists for projects.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread! I love seeing this kind of organization.

Shouldn't we list the turns ratios/secondary loading conditions for each application to assist in wiring and finding even more substitutes?

Since many people have built them, allow me to add...

Neve Class A preamp (1272, 1290, or 1063/73 minus EQ)

mic input ? Secondary loaded with 4.8k (~5k) yields 1200 input when 1:2 (series:series), or 300 input (parallel:series). Originally made by Marinair, part # T1444, or T1454; and later by St. Ives, part # VT22670.
currently available substitutes:
- Carnhill (who purchased St. Ives) VTB9045
- Sowter 9145
- JLM Audio 1:4 ? Two of them as a series:parallel (1:2) or parallel:parallel (1:4) pair.
- Lundahl LL1538 ? Change cap on the secondary from 180pF to 390pF.
- OEP A262A3E ? Wired for series:parallel (1:3.225).
- or use half of 31267 in reverse for 1:2

line input ? Wire series:parallel (4:1) for 10k input. Neve part # 31267. Originally made by Marinair, part # T1422, T1442, or T1452; and later by St. Ives, part # VT22671.
- Carnhill VTB9046
- Sowter 9165

line output - DC gapped, series:series (1:1.5) for 600 ohm output. Neve part # LO1166. Originally made by Marinair, part # ?, and later by St. Ives, part # VT23326(?).
- Carnhill VTB9049 (original replacement), VTB1148 (narrow for rack mounting), or VTB1847 (PCB version w/breakout leads).
- Sowter 8751 (regular size), or 9160 (narrow version for 1RU cases). Both available with leads or solder tabs.
- JLM Audio 1:1:1DC ? Does not require zobel network of 1.5k & .01uF or 600 ohm load on the secondary. Fits in 1RU with at least 38mm internal height.
- Lynx Audio AT600/600-G

Please correct me if this is: a) too detailed, b) has errors, c) missing any info.

Family Hoof,
Thanks for the work. I have added the info to the first thread. I was hoping to keep things in this thread to the specific format of my first post. I think you're right that your suggestestion of listing the turns ratios/secondary loading conditions for each application is a good one-maybe we could start another thread with that info easilly accessable. I just wanted to have this be one place where you could look at a list and see lots of different iron options...

That said, I don't own this thread or anything.
:guinness:

Joel

what about the transformer for the MXL 2001 mic with Royer mod (5840 tube).

i know people are using a jensen trans in it, i'll try to find out which model, can you use anything else?

t

This is a great initiative, thanks all !

Additional suggestions:

W.r.t. the 312, there's at least one API-channel known to man that uses two OEPs (from a DIY-brother from Spain) and it seems to work well (with a 1731-DOA).

Also: Fabio's boards have an OEP-input possibility.

So 312-input: OEP A262A3E and 312-output: OEP A262A2E.
(anyone else having used these two for an API ? I'm going to)

Regards,

Peter

Also I found a ref. to the Crimson Model CT-400G for the LA2A as an output transformer.

Crimson Audio Transformers
PO Box 244
Cape Girardeau, MO. 63702

(573) 334-6656 or (800) 434-1107

I found no web site.

Jim

[quote author="nacho459"]I know I ended up using the same Jensen JT-11-P and JT-10K61-1M transformers on both my LA-2A and G-Pultecs.[/quote]

JT-11-P = input
JT-10K61-1M = output

CJ , Do you have a recomendation list for the V72, V76.

Also anyone made some experiments with transformers for the REDD47?

chrissugar

[quote author="asm"]what about the transformer for the MXL 2001 mic with Royer mod (5840 tube).

i know people are using a jensen trans in it, i'll try to find out which model, can you use anything else?

t[/quote]

I'd be interested in this as well.. Also the transformer for the 603 tube mod...
-mike

[quote author="mike_relay"][quote author="asm"]what about the transformer for the MXL 2001 mic with Royer mod (5840 tube).

t[/quote]

I'd be interested in this as well.. Also the transformer for the 603 tube mod...
-mike[/quote]
Mike transformer for Royer mod is Jensen JT-DB-E or JT-DB-EU (where is EU uncased if you have MXL, ADK, Generis with transformer case inside mic).

Hey, I'd be intereseted in knowing about the V72 and V76 iron too.
Also can someone list mic trafo's.
I need one for my RCA 74b ribbon mic and
or a tube mic like my neumann cm7156? or the graf tube mic?
thanks
TS

I am using the LL1578XLs and some LL1636s in my API 312s, but I really have almost no idea what I am doing :shock: . They are 1:10 instead of the 1:5 a lot of folks use (I have not tried 1:5 so I have no comparison). This list could get huge, as there are so many options for so many projects.

Anybody have info on the LA-3 ins and outs?

Hi
I can find one UTC HA-108 transformer. I know some specification but for what is this transformer useful. Also where are this transformers embedded.
Thanks
Duka

Latest posts

Back