2 T4 cells, fast slow switchable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

I'm pretty sure there was a Drip PCB with this option. Can someone tell me how it was done? Relay? Looks like I could just use a 3pDt switch. Would there be any issues with this? Also, do they need to be fairly close in proximity to the LA2A board (I'm using Silent Arts Dual LA2A.

Drip does it with a DPDT switch.

As for how close do they have to be, the original had the T4B mounted on the back panel. What do you have in mind?

Yeah, I'm sure distance will be fine. I was just going to put them on a piece of perfboard on a side panel of the chassis.

Can someone explain how a DPDT is used?

I'm seeing three points that need to be switched.
pin 3 which goes to C11.
pin 5 which goes to R27
and pin 7 which goes to the limit/compress switch, either side of R07.

I assumed all three positions would need to be changed.

Also, would a make before break (shorting switch) be better or break before make (non shorting)?

Bump?

Shorting or non shorting?

Do I need to switch out the power when switching between cells, or should they both have power on all the time?

Actually, Drip uses a SPDT. Here are the build docs for the Opto 6 https://ws.onehub.com/files/5xajgf51

I would say non shorting on the switch.

I'm unclear exactly how Drip deals with the two TB4's. But I'll tell you this - I built my Drip LA2A with the fast and slow TB4's, and I've never used the fast TB4. Tried it several times, never liked it. YMMV.

Hmmm. Interesting. I'm building the Dual LA2A, so it's a definite added expense to purchase additional fast cells. I'm kind of at a critical stage where I need to decide how many switches I'm going to drill into the front panel. Maybe I'll hold off on even drilling the switch for the fast cells until later then. I have original transformers, and my idea was to make the ultimate dual LA2A that I can even use for mixes/mastering. Which made me think it would be pretty nice to have a fast version as an option. But maybe you'd reach for a GSSL or something else in that circumstance?

Still thinking.

What I definitely don't want to do is rig something up that compromises the integrity/functionality of the slow cells that I already have (by perhaps switching the power in and out too fast?) I don't know enough here, which is why I'm hesitant to 'just try it.'

Thanks for responding. . . .

Latest posts

Back