Discrete Mic Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi Folks,

I've been having a look at Douglass Self's "Small Signal Audio Design". In it the case is made for using discrete transistor circuitry. Other than this one <http://sound.whsites.net/project66.htm>, what would be a good discrete mic pre build for someone with beginner-intermediate level electronics skills and knowledge?

I'm particularly interested in a mic pre with high headroom - am I right in thinking that because a discrete pre can run at higher voltages than those using ICs, that there's greater headroom?

As I mentioned above, I'm still at the beginner-intermediate level wrt electronics knowledge (I know enough to be dangerous!). If I'm totally wrong about the higher voltage-higher headroom relationship then I'm happy to be put right :)

Cheers,

Chris

It is true that you can get more headroom by running at higher voltages, though the circuit you link to has a 5532 running on the same rails as the transistors...
Traditionally you can bias transistors into better noise & distortion performance than opamps....I'm not sure this is still true with the likes of OPA1622 and so on?

Working with IC opamps and analysing circuits with opamps in them is a lot easier than discrete parts. If you want to learn the theory of it then I would certainly recommend starting with some simple opamp circuits and making sure you can apply the relevant laws.

cpsmusic said:
Hi Folks,

I've been having a look at Douglass Self's "Small Signal Audio Design". In it the case is made for using discrete transistor circuitry. Other than this one <http://sound.whsites.net/project66.htm>, what would be a good discrete mic pre build for someone with beginner-intermediate level electronics skills and knowledge?
It depends on what you want to accomplish.
I'm particularly interested in a mic pre with high headroom - am I right in thinking that because a discrete pre can run at higher voltages than those using ICs, that there's greater headroom?
Generally no...  while headroom is not well understood.  In theory you could make a discrete preamp (your example is mixed or hybrid) with +/- 100V rails.  A simplistic analysis would think that this delivers a lot of headroom, but what do you do with a +/-100V signal? You don't send it into a A/D convertor IC running from a 5V supply.  Ultimately the important criteria is signal to noise ratio or dynamic range (both comparisons of clean signal to dirty noise floor).

Note: while a secondary design characteristic a mic preamp's gain structure or gain range can affect apparent head room. If the minimum gain cannot be adjusted low enough it can look like inadequate headroom to handle hot input signals, while this is just an arbitrary design decision and not intrinsic to the technology used.. 
As I mentioned above, I'm still at the beginner-intermediate level wrt electronics knowledge (I know enough to be dangerous!). If I'm totally wrong about the higher voltage-higher headroom relationship then I'm happy to be put right :)

Cheers,

Chris
Decades ago, the noise floor in widely available circuitry was noisier than today, so a strategy to provide better signal to noise ratio, was to make the signal larger. You quickly run into diminishing returns and ultimately need to reduce the signal level to accommodate lesser dynamic range paths in following gear. 

Back before digital media was so pervasive, magnetic recording tape was more forgiving of brief or transient overloads. Tape saturation was even used as a crude form of compression. So more output could be better when carefully applied.

If we accept the premise that digital media should not be saturated (not all agree), there is little practical benefit from hotter signal levels.

I mentioned in passing that modern ICs are quieter. Not only that but several IC companies have developed dedicated mic preamps into fully integrated solutions.  The schematic you linked to is one example of what "was" generally the state of the art for several decades ago. Low noise discrete transistors forming a circuitry front end, with an op amp wrapped around it for low distortion and good output performance.  Now you can purchase a single IC chip set that does it all even better and far easier.

To answer your specific question it depends on what you want or need? You will learn more with an old school*** discrete front end design, you will get better performance, for less effort with a dedicated IC mic preamp.

JR

*** it is a little odd to call that hybrid or mixed design old school, since for a long time it was the new fangled approach, eclipsing even older step-up transformers in front of weaker (noisier) gain stages. Some still favor that even older, old way.

PS: Years ago Samuel Groner shared an overview of multiple different mic preamp topologies that might be worth searching out for educational purposes.

JohnRoberts said:
It depends on what you want to accomplish. Generally no...  while headroom is not well understood.  In theory you could make a discrete preamp (your example is mixed or hybrid) with +/- 100V rails.  A simplistic analysis would think that this delivers a lot of headroom, but what do you do with a +/-100V signal? You don't send it into a A/D convertor IC running from a 5V supply.  Ultimately the important criteria is signal to noise ratio or dynamic range (both comparisons of clean signal to dirty noise floor).

Note: while a secondary design characteristic a mic preamp's gain structure or gain range can affect apparent head room. If the minimum gain cannot be adjusted low enough it can look like inadequate headroom to handle hot input signals, while this is just an arbitrary design decision and not intrinsic to the technology used..  Decades ago, the noise floor in widely available circuitry was noisier than today, so a strategy to provide better signal to noise ratio, was to make the signal larger. You quickly run into diminishing returns and ultimately need to reduce the signal level to accommodate lesser dynamic range paths in following gear. 

Back before digital media was so pervasive, magnetic recording tape was more forgiving of brief or transient overloads. Tape saturation was even used as a crude form of compression. So more output could be better when carefully applied.

If we accept the premise that digital media should not be saturated (not all agree), there is little practical benefit from hotter signal levels.

I mentioned in passing that modern ICs are quieter. Not only that but several IC companies have developed dedicated mic preamps into fully integrated solutions.  The schematic you linked to is one example of what "was" generally the state of the art for several decades ago. Low noise discrete transistors forming a circuitry front end, with an op amp wrapped around it for low distortion and good output performance.  Now you can purchase a single IC chip set that does it all even better and far easier.

To answer your specific question it depends on what you want or need? You will learn more with an old school*** discrete front end design, you will get better performance, for less effort with a dedicated IC mic preamp.

JR

*** it is a little odd to call that hybrid or mixed design old school, since for a long time it was the new fangled approach, eclipsing even older step-up transformers in front of weaker (noisier) gain stages. Some still favor that even older, old way.

PS: Years ago Samuel Groner shared an overview of multiple different mic preamp topologies that might be worth searching out for educational purposes.

Thanks!

> run at higher voltages than those using ICs, that there's greater headroom?

Or you could just run less gain.

Gain management is a basic Audio Person skill. Same as a truck driver should manage steering. If your truck or signal is slamming against the rails, you are not managing well.

Mike signals are not over 2V, mostly under 0.2V. As JR says, today we mostly go to ADCs that only need 1V-2V at most. Why would you amplify up to 99V and then complain about signal damage?

cpsmusic said:
good of you.  aim high.  it is the higher headroom devices that are sought after, especially in the vintage world.
not everyone is doing the bedroom studio thing with cheap a2d converters.

gridcurrent said:
good of you.  aim high.  it is the higher headroom devices that are sought after, especially in the vintage world.
not everyone is doing the bedroom studio thing with cheap a2d converters.

Even expensive ADCs use 5V analog rails.

you might consider a project that uses a discrete op amp like the 990 (+-24v)or JLM 99v (+-34v), and most preamps using them should be easy enough for a beginner...

+1 on Sam Groners stuff...  if you are looking for something in more of a kit format check out jlmaudio.com ... he is also in Australia, so you can save on shipping.  He has a number of great kits that are fairly customizable depending on your choice of parts...
Most of joes designs are fairly different topology to what you linked to originally though... what sounds best?  I couldn't say...

There are so many options when it comes to preamps... and tons of kits and pcbs available...

in my somewhat limited experience high voltage rails isn't the most important thing.  As long as you have an appropriate pad on your input you should be fine with headroom of most circuits @ +-15v or more...  if you are needing to drive the next stage, using a line amp after your pre would give you the most control of your gain staging.

PRR said:
> run at higher voltages than those using ICs, that there's greater headroom?

Mike signals are not over 2V, mostly under 0.2V. As JR says, today we mostly go to ADCs that only need 1V-2V at most. Why would you amplify up to 99V and then complain about signal damage?

What about if I'm going into other analog gear before hitting the converters?

cpsmusic said:
What about if I'm going into other analog gear before hitting the converters?

What are the supply voltages of those other pieces of analog gear, and more importantly, what are their nominal operating levels?

> What about if I'm going into other analog gear

A tube guitar amp has 500V signals internally.

But the input can be slammed with 1V or less. Even for over-over-drive, there's no reason to shove more than a few volts into it.

The highest "normal" input level I am aware of is the old Hammond organ tone cabinets, which did need several volts for full output.

I say again. Level Control (gaining-up and padding-down) is a BASIC audio-person skill.

Andy Peters said:
What are the supply voltages of those other pieces of analog gear, and more importantly, what are their nominal operating levels?

Good question - one is a stereo LA-2A built by my late father. I've also got a 320A Compellor and a W492 EQ which isn't built yet.

cpsmusic said:
Good question - one is a stereo LA-2A built by my late father. I've also got a 320A Compellor and a W492 EQ which isn't built yet.
Most line level (already amplifier) analog studio gear is designed around one of two nominal 0VU operating levels. +4 dBu (1.2V) or -10 dBV (0.31V) .  To provide a comfortable 20 dB of headroom you need to handle 10x that so +/-15V rails are very popular.

JR 

Back