• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Roller-Smith meter 'FJDB' for RCA BA6A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvLoutonian

hi,

A friend is trying to repair his RCA BA6A limiter, which has the meter gone kaput.

Anybody got any leads on an original/compatible meter?

I believe the type is Roller-Smith TYPE FJDB.

Spec description form my friend Garth:
The horizontal screw mounts have 97mm centres
The vertical screw mounts have 82mm centres.
The diameter of the rear is 70mm (goes through the hole in the mounting bracket)
According to the manual, it is 500uA fsd moving coil.
It also has connections for 6.3v for 2 x bulbs mounted internally.

Cheers,
Evan (Australia)

Port Barlow was talking about remanufacturing replacments at one point, don't know if he did.  I sold a couple of originals for $500 each years ago, so there's market. 

woah, that must be a rare meter .. yikes.  $500 ea!
Thanks Doug!

..i might advise my friend to just find a substitute meter type..
His unit is missing the front panel cover anyway, so it might not make such a huge difference..

Does the meter have unusual / special characteristics ?
(besides the size /shape)

No special characteristics I recall beyond what you stated above.  It is the size of the typical Weston type. 

Thanks Doug,  so.. sounds like perhaps it'd be best to just modify (or fabricate a new substitute) mounting bracket to suit WESTON or similar sized meter. 

Is it pretty much a standard VU meter?

VU is 200 microamp.  Would need a shunt resistor and removal of the rectifier to maintain level. 

Latest posts

Back