Front panel maker (rotary engraved anodised aluminium, to 19" x 5u and beyond)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian-F

I make front panels.  This kind of thing -

dscf4271.jpg

The work i do is all mechanically cut (as in rotary engraved, rather than lasers, or metal photo etc) resulting in a professional, durable, finish.

The panels are then milled internally and externally.  Up to 19" x 5u high is fairly standard for me, but i can do larger on request also.

Work can be infilled, eg -

9090_rb2.jpg

Or left bare, eg -

main3.jpg

All the metal i work with is anodised.  Silver and matt black are the most common finishes, but i can do other colours, and even gloss finishes by arrangement.  The unit above was cut in gloss black.

Common thicknesses are 1.5mm, 2.0mm, and 3.0mm.

varmen.jpg

My own personal interest is much more centred around synthesis of sound, rather than outboard kit, hence the i 'hang out' much more on those types of forums (muffwiggler, midibox, electro-music etc), and that's why most of my example work is modular stuff and the like.

I am based in the United Kingdom, however, historically, about 70% of my work has been export - so im quite happy to ship overseas.

I work from DXF, but there's a pathway to DXF from most common applications.

Thank you,
Julian

Nice work!!!

some questions:
1) what is the final price for 2U panel with blue anodized finish and white infill engraving?
2) is possible to send you own raw aluminium frontpanel (with laser cut holes) for edging, anodizing, and infill engraving?
3) What is the shipping cost to EU?

Thanks

M.

Thank you for the comments.

To answer your questions -

1) Price is largely a function of machine time / cutter changes / colours used, rather than simply area, so is largely dependent on the actual job itself, rather than just a "per unit" price.

As a rough indication, however, i cut a couple of 2u parts late last week for someone, and they were GBP 70 each.  Im cutting one as a "drop evreything" rush job currently, which will be GBP 100.  But, also sometimes they work out at GBP 50.  It very much depends on the job, but probably GBP 50-100 range.

2) Im always reluctant to take customers metal.  The way a metal cuts and finishes is specific to the alloy / anodising, and, often the grades that are used in other applications do not finish as well.  I can, and have, taken customer supplied metal, but it is something i try and discourage.  I do not anodise here, but rather i buy in my stock pre-anodised.

3) I only ever charge cost shipping.  I think i have my online shop set to charge people GBP 9 on international orders, but that is undercharging on larger parts (i know this, but it probably all averages out).  I guess around GBP 15 on a single 2u panel with tracking.  Considerably cheaper without tracking, but then there is risk.

I'm sorry that none of the above are the simple "one line" answers that you probably wanted!

I have been looking for a front panel maker in the UK for a long time. Can you accept input in Front Panel Designer format?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I have been looking for a front panel maker in the UK for a long time. Can you accept input in Front Panel Designer format?

From looking at your own website, and (thinking that i am) recognising the work there, i assume you are talking about .fpd files?

If you choose file/export, there is an option for .dxf

Julian-F said:
From looking at your own website, and (thinking that i am) recognising the work there, i assume you are talking about .fpd files?

If you choose file/export, there is an option for .dxf

That's right. I am not sure how good the .dxf output is. Probably the best way is to try a test piece. I am designing some new slimmer modules right now so I will get you to do one of those for me. I'll be in touch.

Cheers

Ian

The .dxf export from Frontpaneldesigner software works great. I always use the dxf export to transmit the data to my cnc machine (and I guess Frank Röllen does the same) without any problems.

Majestic12 said:
The .dxf export from Frontpaneldesigner software works great. I always use the dxf export to transmit the data to my cnc machine (and I guess Frank Röllen does the same) without any problems.

That's good to know because I do know the vector output (,svg)can be problematic for some graphics programmes although all browsers seem to render it correctly. I have had to manually tweak some of the output for it to be readable by Inkscape and Libre Office. I queried this with fpd and they told me how to tweak the output so that renderers not compatible with the latest svg standard could render it properly. I was surprised because I would have thought graphics programmes would have been more likely to be able to render the latest version of the spec.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

When you are ready, just email me what you have - im sure it will be possible.

Julian-F said:
Ian,

When you are ready, just email me what you have - im sure it will be possible.

Thanks Julian, I will do that. I am half way through moving house right now so it could be a few weeks away.

Cheers

Ian

This job came off the machine a couple of days ago -

IMG_20170215_173011288_HDR-300x300.jpg

Its a nice example of slider slots.

Can i ask -

Someone has asked me for 500 series L brackets, with CNC cut holes (which is *not* my usual work, however, it would be nice to offer them a complete solution)

I am sure that these should be cheap parts, however, it is not so easy for me to see where to shave cost, as the part needs cutting to size, then cnc milling, then bending.    Its not a huge expense, but the brackets are working out about as much as the front panels, which cant really be right!

I am quite happy to recommend them a cheaper route - i would rather they were able to buy the L brackets at a good price so as then to spend their money on more front panels with me!

Is there a solution?

Ian, I think he meant this L bracket:

http://capi-gear.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=181

but customized with CNC milled holes or slots for the panel controls, mounting hardware, etc.

Julian-F said:
This job came off the machine a couple of days ago -

IMG_20170215_173011288_HDR-300x300.jpg

Its a nice example of slider slots.

May I ask what that panel ended up costing, just for point of reference? I have priced out some EQ panels at FPE with similarly large number of cuts and engravings, and they end up being more than $400USD, which is way more than it is worth to me.

metalb00b00 said:

but customized with CNC milled holes or slots for the panel controls, mounting hardware, etc.

I think you may be right. I have never been sure why API used this construction method. It seems like a rather expensive way  of getting rid of  full enclosure.

Cheers

Ian

adeptusmajor said:
May I ask what that panel ended up costing, just for point of reference? I have priced out some EQ panels at FPE with similarly large number of cuts and engravings, and they end up being more than $400USD, which is way more than it is worth to me.

I cut / sell the part in the photo for GBP 140 (google converts this to $174.44USD)

Like i say, I'm competitive : )

metalb00b00 said:

Spot on - thank you.

My request has been for the above part, but cut for a specific pcb. 

As i understand the request, the panel components are PCB mounted, so the distance between the front edge of the bracket (the short side), and the PCB mounting holes in the long side must be perfectly related to one another.

Of course, even the thickness of the metal used will (if it cant be compensated for by using washers) push the PCB mounting holes further back, or bring them further forwards.

As i said above, if i can offer the customer a total solution it will be more attractive to them, however, it seems that the 'cheap' bracket is actually more of an engineering adventure than the cosmetically important front panel.

(i dont think that the customer can just drill their pcb mounting holes in-situ either, as there are other cut-outs on the lone side of the L)

Back