Screen Resistors or No? EICO ST-40

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
rehab on this classic,  7591 tubes  no resistors,

putting in new tube sockets, should we add resistors? 470 ohms?

about 425 plates, 400 screens,

thanks!

I vote "why not?"

A hi-fi amp should not need G2 resistors, since it is never worked significantly over-driven.

And EICO was designing to a 90-day warranty. And expecting now-Golden-Age tubes.

G2 resistors protect against unexpected accidents. Which happen more often on modern tubes. And a few modern users. The marginal cost of four resistors, "large" at the time of production, now looms very small. Much less than your labor to blow out the cockroaches and leaky caps. Much less than the potential future cost to replace a output transformer just because a new-made tube sprang a G2 short.

Some other brands are Do Not Change, but I think EICO users just want it to work no-fuss.

PRR said:
G2 resistors protect against unexpected accidents.
But there's already a resistor in the PSU between the OT's center tap and the screens; wouldn't it take care of these accidents? OK, this resistor is dimensioned for two tubes, so may not give adequate protection if only one tube fails, so what value would you recommend? And where would you feed them from (U or V)? Would you bypass them to ground with a cap?

too late, already wired up the screens,

figure this is cathode bias so nobody is gonna run away too far,

plus these 7591's have screen pins 4 and 8 tied together so we do not have free terminals like Fender does with the 6L6,

getting rid of some solid strand wire but leaving the leaky General Inst. caps because they go for big bucks on evilbay and some think they sound good,

replacing 10K stoppers with 1.5K as some think 10K kills tone,

recap job done, first multi section can was getting  warm, and the second was dropping B+ via the high value dropping resistors,

0.0  ohms  :D

would have had to install tag boards, drill holes,  customer looks like he likes listening to Mood Indigo late at night, so what the heck,

CJ said:
replacing 10K stoppers with 1.5K as some think 10K kills tone,
1k seems to be have been a popular value, in both expensive (like the Marantz 8b) and less fancy amplifiers, both pa and hi-fi. 
yet McIntosh avoided stoppers, at least in output stages.
decades ago, messing with the ubiquitious Dyna Stereo 70, like countless other tweakerss, turning a decent amp into a unlistenable collection of parts; when replacing the 1k grid stoppers with 10k, thought it sounded more "effortless",  just saying.
not many power amps with high value stoppers, the allegedly super wideband Citation II used 10k.
incidentally, that Citation used 270 ohms in series with the screens, ultra-linear configuration.
would like to hear others' comments on the subject.

gridcurrent said:
1k seems to be have been a popular value, in both expensive (like the Marantz 8b) and less fancy amplifiers, both pa and hi-fi.
"Popular value" is somewhat meaningless, because the value must be considered in regard with the rest of the circuit.
The grid stoppers are used to introduce a pole in the open-loop response, that is essential for stability of an amplifier submitted to global NFB.
The frequency of this pole is determined by the value of the grid stopper resistor and the reflected Miller capacitance of the output tubes.
For example, changing 7591's for 6V6's, all other things being equal, the pole would move about at least an octave because the g-a capacitance of the 7591 is  about 3 times less than 6V6.
But many other parameters are significant, such as open-loop gain, transformer leakage inductance and stray capacitance, as well as the general layout.
It is extremely difficult to predict accurately the ideal value, because many factors are either unknown or not well documented.

yet McIntosh avoided stoppers, at least in output stages.
McIntoshes use a such different topology it is almost incongruous to try to compare. The output tubes are driven by cathode-followers (partly in order to limit the issues of grid current), but the output stage (including transformer) is under nested NFB. The output tubes operate with loads shared between cathode and plate, similar to a cathodyne PI. The overall gain of the output stage is unity (well, two if you count both outputs). Apparently, this (combined with the extraordinary attention to detail in the OT) made unnecessary stabilization components (although some amps had to have a 100pF added to the bottom half of the PI.
Note the smaller MC225 (with 7591's) had 470r grid stoppers. That would be consistent with the much lower Cga of the 7591's.

messing with the ubiquitious Dyna Stereo 70  when replacing the 1k grid stoppers with 10k, thought it sounded more "effortless",  just saying.
One could venture a tentative explanation; maybe the amp was not that stable with the 1k's and the 10k's tamed the unstability... Interseting to note the SCA35 had no grid-stoppers.

not many power amps with high value stoppers, the allegedly super wideband Citation II used 10k. 
Note that the grids of the output tubes are driven with quite a low impedance, not only because of the unusually low plate resistors in the PI, but also because both sections of the PI are under significant NFB.

incidentally, that Citation used 270 ohms in series with the screens, ultra-linear configuration. 
I believe with that one you're opening a big can o' worms... :D

Some really interesting info to mull over for some time ...  thanks guys  :)

I don't think I'll ever look at screen resistor choices the same again.

moamps said:
What's the real protection if there is 20uF fully charged and directly connected to all screens?
If there is a risk of G2 shorting, where would it likely short?
If it shorts to plate, the tube goes into triode mode, the plate seeing a very low impedance, which results in distortion and limited power. That will happen unless the G2 resistor is quite large, larger than necessary for proper operation. And anyway the tube would be shot, but I would think the OT is not at risk unless it is kept driven at full power; then the transformer may heat dangerously but I don't think it would make much difference between no resistor and a 470-1k.
If it shorts to cathode or ground, there is a definite risk of frying the OT, but again, I don't think a resistor would make a significant difference, unless it is acting as a fuse.
My understanding is that dropping the voltage for the screen grids is essential for proper operation, but this voltage being decoupled or not, separate or common, does not change much in terms of reliability.

Back